BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    shake test after 3 days

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

shake test after 3 days
 Login/Join

posted
this a picture of the shake test after 3 days of the shake test, I’m wondering what are those bubbles on the bottom of the jar???

06' Jetta, 2001 DURAMAX
Bio-Diesel Engines are adictive!
If you ever go to Mexico don't forget to fuel up your diesel engine, border diesel from Mexico is imported from the U.S. you'll pay around $2 USD! per/Gal

Imagebubble_in_the_jar.jpg (50 Kb, 92 downloads) Bubbles

Location: Rio Rico, AZ | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like unreacted oil.

2001 Dodge 3500 CTD running B100

Self appointed Minister Of Propaganda, Order Of The Semi Sealed Steel Drum Reactor

Currently washing and drying with a "Death Trap" heater.

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
but it passed the 3/27, could that be unreacted oil? remember this is the water/BD shake test, not a 3/27...

06' Jetta, 2001 DURAMAX
If you ever go to Mexico don't forget to fuel up your diesel engine, border diesel from Mexico is imported from the U.S. you'll pay around $2 USD! per/Gal

Location: Rio Rico, AZ | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They look like oil, but there are only two ways I can think of that oil droplets would be at the bottom of the water layer:
1) they're stuck to the glass, or
2) they're silicon oil, which is denser than water, and won't react with methanol or lye (or much of anything else).

I don't know if silicon oil (like DOT-5 brake fluid) would form droplets, or would spread out into a film.

They're not soap or glycerin - those are water soluble.

Unreacted oil would float on top of the water layer.

The water looks nice and clear, so your reaction must have been pretty complete, or your washing process was thorough.

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeah, Im not sure of what might be I never had that happen

06' Jetta, 2001 DURAMAX