BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  Two Tank Systems    mercedes 92 300D 2.5TD. Greasecar two tank
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

mercedes 92 300D 2.5TD. Greasecar two tank
 Login/Join

posted
Hi everyone,
I just bought a MB 92 2.5TD with a greasecar copilot v1.7 on it that has been sitting for 2 years.
I am new to 2 tank systems. I have been running a chevy 6.5 on gas blen for 4 years.
I would like to get this 2 tank system running and hopefully burn some of the thicker fats and bacon lard that I cannot use in my one tank chevy.

I have thought to insulate fuel tank and all lines as much as possible to keep fuel as warm as possible between cycles...I have never heard anyone doing this although it seems simple to me...any mayor problems? reasons not to do it?

Whats the recomended temp for thermostat? I have heard that recently car manufacturers have realized that emissions lower with hotter engines and that they run better. I changed my chevy tsta to 200F and runs like a champ. I can't find any tstat for the MB 2.5TD above 176F (80C)....anyone knows a crossreference for higher temp?

I can't find any switch in the car to switch svo-diesel, is this a normal installation when using a copilot control? no manual redundancy in case something goes wrong on software?
thanks everyone,
L

Location: NY | Registered: December 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has a HIH from the trunk to the svo filter which has a copper loop around.
It gets cold in upstate NY 0F for sure -15F sometimes. Should I be looking to FPHE?
how well will this type work?
thanks

Location: NY | Registered: December 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi L

Don't know much about co-pilot, its automatically switched, I presume based on some temperature I suspect.

Insulation is a good idea. BUT with that said, I have HIH and a coil wrapped filter and plastic tank in the trunk, both uninsulated, all my lines are uninsulated too! I live in northern NH and rely heavily on my FPHE to boost the temp prior to injection. Never have any problems. Been at this for 9 years. Recently had the IP apart and virtually no crap built up in at all! We are very patient and always let everything get hot. We also burn a good share of D2 as we do lots of short trips.

But insulation is better to have it than not to have it...for sure, so I would encourage you to insulate... I might too Red Face) but probly not Razz

Merk
03 Jetta TDI 12 gal marine tank in trunk w/copper heat exchanger no intank connections, coolant heated copper coiled fuel filter, HIH, 10 plate FPHE & two 3 port wvodesign fuel valves. Timer/relay purge.

Location: Etna, NH | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Iolailando:
Thermostat - try 1102000515 is an 87C @ $19.23 - Partsgeek. An in-tank heating fuel pickup is enough heat through a 3/4" hose/3/8" aluminum fuel line. 3/4" radiator heater hose will carry more water than a 5/8" hose and the aluminum 3/8" fuel line will transfer the heat faster than PEX. A 16 plate hot plate heat exchanger (FPHE), but more plates equals more heat to the VO. If the VO fuel tank has a heated return line, then insulating the tank is less important, but insulating it can conserve heat. IMHO, the GC heated VO filter has two drawbacks - (1) difficult and messy to change the filter (2) heat transfer from copper coil around filter canister could be better. Direct heating, i.e. small FPHE (VW type). IMHO, the co-pilot should switch to VO at a higher temp. As a second owner of a GC system, I wouldn't expect any tech help from GC Tech. Other second owners of GC systems have asked for help with no support given, but I could be wrong.