Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.6 chevy
 Login/Join

posted
Would like to put a two tank kit in my 2003 chevy truck I have a tank and was hoping to get some help with the other parts that will be need to do this dont have alot of money to just go out and buy the new kit so it may have to be done one part at a time or quality part cheap can you tell me what you have done or would not do again thanks for your help

posted Hide Post
No one can tell me what parts I will need please help thanks

posted Hide Post
Brent:

I think you're going to find that this is not a good idea. The Dmax common rail system already has an issue with hot fuel and depending on the year, may not even run on it period. The sensors in the newer trucks may just shut you out all together.

At over $3,000 to replace the injectors and over $500 bucks for the high pressure fuel pump this is certainly not the truck to experiment on. It is even questionable if it will tolerate good, well processed bio-diesel.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but the newer common rail diesels are not suited to homemade fuel. With the extreme pressures and close tolerances of the fuel systems, anything other than good dry ULSD just doesn't work.

If you want to play with SVO, pick up an old Mercedes, 5 cylinder diesel. These things will run on anything. If you could chew them up small enough, I'm sure you could run woodchips in them.

Bill

91 Buick Roadmaster wagon, GM 6.2 diesel conversion (gone but not forgotten
89 GMC 6.2 (Just got rid of the last pieces)
84 Mercedes 300D (gone to the great autobahn in the sky)
94 Cadillac Fleetwood (Sold before I could convert it)

Location: Manotick, Ontario Canada | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brent:
Bill is offering you very good advice.
The 2003 6.6 Ltr LB7 is not a good platform for biodiesel.
The injector design is bad and the CP3 is tasked with pulling fuel from the tank as well
as providing 20K + lbs of pressure to the rail. The computer will shut the motor down when it senses low fuel pressure and won't run until it's reset.Do yourself a favor get a 7.3 Powerstroke or an older Benz like Mr. McD suggested. I'm selling mine now in favor of an F450 with a 7.3.
Good Luck !!
regards
Tom

1999 K3500 Dually with a new AMG 6.5TD turned up a bit by John Kennedy
Chevy DMax Totaled thanks to a 20 year old in a Mustang
Mercedes 300CDT
John Deere
On B99.?

Location: Decatur, Al | Registered: September 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would tell you how to do it but I have not converted one. But I can tell you that the CP3 is not a problem since my Jeep Liberty CRD has one and it has 100k grease miles and is one of the great grease vehicles. It is an 06 with high pressure Common Rail injection. I also have a 2005 Mercedes E320 CDI it has 30k grease miles. I change the oil on both at 5k miles to make sure the oil does not get contaminated with grease. My Jeep does not have a lift pump the Injector pump pulls it from the rear mounted tank, it has a FPHE, a large veggie filter, and the common rail is heated electrically to take some of the cold out of the rail itself. My 2005 has a $500 lift pump to make the pressure to supply the injection pump. And it also has an extra fuel switching valve so that the diesel pump never gets turned off it just loops itself to the diesel tank. Otherwise they are very similar.

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL | Registered: June 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robert:
Glad to hear you are having good luck with your vehicles.
I think it's probable that the 80 degree South Florida avg temperature
contributes to your success with VO. I remember a guy on here from South Fl that said he was running
an older MB on straight VO on a 1 tank system and no heater with no problems. I had to put a lift pump on my 82 300 CDT as soon as it started getting cool at night on B100.
Hope your success continues.
regards to all
Tom

Mercedes 300CDT
John Deere
On B99.?

Location: Decatur, Al | Registered: September 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have driven to the Carolinas and it was zero degrees. They both worked fine just took longer to heat up. But not much.

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL | Registered: June 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My E320 with the electric in-tank lift pump is setting full of B50 right now, and it's 23F outside. Besides the fuel lines between fuel filter and CP3 degrading, it loves bio, even B100 which it doesn't run often, but has.

Our Duramax B100 fueled boat also lives on high bioD blends, until winter when I run it dry then fuel up on dyno for storage. The boat engine is an LLY, and had early troubles moving B100 before adding a lift pump. That fixed it and she runs fine on it.

Now that said, the LB7 had bad injector issues from day one. Mostly resolved by changing the filter spec to a 2-micron which saved the brand from taking a nasty hit. I wouldn't be afraid to run SVO in a LB7 or any Duramax, but would go out of the way to clean that oil beyond normal. Making darn sure it's CLEAN & DRY. Then long as it's heated up to a temp you SVO guys like run, switch it over..

My best advice here is NEVER shut that Duramax down on SVO. I blew a motor on B100 once, let it set tore down for a year, and basically trashed everything in they system but the CP3 pump. The injectors return fuel out the top thru the center of the firing solenoid, which will get sticky and not fire if they get junk fuel. Then your hosed, unless you have a good buddy willing to help disassemble each one, clean it, reassemble, and hope to heck they start working again. If not, as posted above, whip out $3000 and start again. CP3 pump is a pretty hardy pump, but the mechanical lift side is junk. Only GM uses that one..

Bests

-Ken

Recycling & Green Fuels Research: www.altfuelsgroup.org
Ozone Eating Toys For Big Boys !!: www.suncoastexotics.com
Carefully Maintaining A Carbon Neutral Footprint...

Location: Southeastern Ohio | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aloha!

I saw this post and had to reply.

I drive a 2003 LB7.

I run B100 exclusively.

Over 2 years and very few issues.

Several fuel filters at first and then the stock lift pump went south.

Sooo, I gutted the stock fuel delivery system in favor of an Air Dog II - the 200GPH model.

No problems after those initial issues.

I live in Hawaii on the big island and buy B100 at the pump. It is a highly refined product that is just amazing.

Here's a blurb from their website -

"Superior Fuel Quality for End-user Satisfaction
We guarantee that our process plants will meet ASTM standards using a multitude of feedstocks. Pacific Biodiesel’s robust process chemistry and three-stage product refining produce a fuel with quality that is second to none. Our multi-stage reaction efficiently converts fatty acids and glycerides to methyl esters, while our vacuum distillation and dry refining steps remove trace amounts of water, methanol and minor impurities to yield a fuel with exceptional quality and a long shelf life. "

So thats my story - YMMV

2003 LB7
B100 for over 2 years now.

posted Hide Post
I have converted a lot of diesels, but not a duramax. The trick is it is a two tank system you have to figure out how to replicate the ability of the fuel to get to the engine and back.

For example my 05 CDI needed a lift pump because the factory one was in the diesel tank. My veg side needed to be 60+ psi this required a good pump. ($500). But I also had to turn off the factory pump because it would just burn itself out if it was pumping to a switch that was not flowing fuel. I installed a third switch so that when I switched from diesel to Veg the diesel just pumps itself back to the diesel tank.

I use a veg tank on all my conversions as well as a FPHE (flat Plate Heat Exchanger) and I use greasecar.com fuel switching valves because every other one has died on me. I prefer to use Pex plumbing lines for fuel lines and coolant lines. And I prefer hose on hose. Not hose in hose. There are just to many weak links and expensive unneeded parts in a HIH.

I tell everyone to start gathering and filtering first. Because that is the hard part. Very clean grease is important. And it is constant. You have to keep filtering and collecting. Once you get someone to give you grease you have to take it if you need it or not! My cars have been converted for years and I filter almost everyday.

Robert

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maddasher:
I have converted a lot of diesels, but not a duramax. The trick is it is a two tank system you have to figure out how to replicate the ability of the fuel to get to the engine and back.

For example my 05 CDI needed a lift pump because the factory one was in the diesel tank. My veg side needed to be 60+ psi this required a good pump. ($500). But I also had to turn off the factory pump
Update on our Duramax.
Being a Die Hard Chevy guy and because new ones cost $60 GG's I decided to spend a couple of bucks on our 03 2500HD.
The LB7 uses a CP3 injection pump to pull fuel from the tank to the motor and then pumps the pressure way up to the fuel rail and injector nozzle. Ours was shutting off or tripping a code due to low FRP (fuel rail pressure). Reset the code and it would start and run fine until ??
I installed a lift pump from WVO designs with dual filters and removed the OEM filter under the hood.
Also replaced the 1/4 inch plastic OEM pickup in the tank with a Kennedy Billet 5/8 inch replacement. The truck runs great and is dependable again.
I love the Duramax motor and the truck works hard for me. This upgrade
should have been done as soon as we started running a heavier fuel.
Probably would have saved replacing the Cp3 a few years ago.
The one in there now at minimum has been weakened.
regards
Tom

Mercedes 300CDT
John Deere
On B99.?

posted Hide Post
That is great! I have developed a dislike of hose clamps. And I use push-lock fittings. Except those look like push-locks with hose clamps is that true? That is the $500 pump! One filter before the pump and one filter after.

Robert

posted Hide Post
Yes Sir,
1/2 inch AN push lock fittings with clamps on 1/2 inch Viton hose.
12 micron fuel water separator pre-filter then 2 micron post filter.
You say you bought your pump from Leon @ WVO Designs also ?
The only one on the market with Viton seals. Leon is the man
and stands behind his stuff!!
Happy New Year to you down there in Warm Sunny South Florida,,
Most of the country north of you has been freezing their Balls Off !!

Eek

regards
Tom

Mercedes 300CDT
John Deere
On B99.?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tropical Canuck:
Aloha!

I drive a 2003 LB7.

I run B100 exclusively.

Sooo, I gutted the stock fuel delivery system in favor of an Air Dog II - the 200GPH model.

I live in Hawaii on the big island and buy B100 at the pump. It is a highly refined product that is just amazing.

So thats my story - YMMV

Aloha Canuck !!
Somehow missed your post back in December.
Glad your problems are fixed.
I looked at the Air Dog and have a friend that runs one in his 07 D max with a Tuner.
Their spec sheet stated not compatible with Biodiesel. It's a really nice plug and play
setup though with pump options capable of supporting Big Power and Dual CP3's
Have not had to replace Injectors yet ? You probably will. The Duramax forum is filled with
guys like us dealing with similar issues that have never seen Biodiesel. We polish our fuel to 1 micron and still had injector issues ,, the lift pump should have been added as soon as we started burning Biodiesel. Check out www.kennedydiesel.com ,, he has a Billet fuel pickup that replaces the OEM piece. Even though the LB7 fuel system is 1/2 inch the bottom of the plastic OEM fuel pick up is only 1/4 inch. Not sure how GM engineering justified that. IMO is a problem for those with a big flow requirement and a restriction for us also using a heavier fuel. ( Especially when it's cold )
You go 4 wheeling on the Big Island ??
Cool

regards
Tom

Mercedes 300CDT
John Deere
On B99.?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brentc:
No one can tell me what parts I will need please help thanks

BrentC
Looks like we all agree except maybe Mr. McD. ( Valid Concerns) and sorry
you caught me at a weak moment. KenR is the MAN,, and as far as we know is the unofficial current speed record holder on water burning B100. see here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvd-w7lk1Eo
His input weighed in on my decision also to move forward with the DMax.
Maddasher having good luck too, look in his sig line again to see what he did.

Good info in this little thread,
Let us know what you decide to do
good luck
regards
Tom

Mercedes 300CDT
John Deere
On B99.?

posted Hide Post
I have a 07.5 chevy Dmax and im running golden fuel systems 2 tank and it works great no problem with the common rail I have a friend that has been 200,000 on his common rail with no problems

Location: Panama City | Registered: November 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
D:
Glad to hear you have had great success.
Pretty sure the lift pump and the heater
made the difference between us. The CP3
is actually pretty stout in the LB7 just needed some help with the heavier fuel.
Have you had yours since new ?
No Injector issues either ?
Saw Graydon Blair on You tube the other day
said the 2011 and 12 DMax was a good candidate for B100.
Got me thinking.
regards
Tom

Mercedes 300CDT
John Deere
On B99.?

posted Hide Post
still going strong no inj problems . I have started at the first of the year running about 10% fuel in with the wvo it does idle better and it doesn't smell as bad. i put over 30k miles on it in the past year. about $6500 fuel savings in the past year

Location: Panama City | Registered: November 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I came across this old post by accident and upon rereading it I feel compelled to UPDATE!

The Airdog died after 4 months (gearoter clogged). I got a warranty replacement and it got me about 5 months (same problem). Turns out the Airdogs are not good with B100 which is some grade A 20/20 hindsight!

Anyway, Leon at WVO Designs set me up with their lift pump and all my fuel problems have been solved! Fixed for now anyway, as I am looking at a dual CP3 upgrade for the truck which currently puts out 714 RWHP and I am trying to make a 1000HP B100 beast. More fuel means bigger injectors and yee haw!

Anybody ever run a water/methanol injection system while running B100?

TL;DR Airdog is crap on B100 - Call Leon at WVO Designs instead!

quote:
Originally posted by Hamlin205:
quote:
Originally posted by Tropical Canuck:
Aloha!

I drive a 2003 LB7.

I run B100 exclusively.

So thats my story - YMMV

Aloha Canuck !!
Somehow missed your post back in December.
Glad your problems are fixed.
I looked at the Air Dog and have a friend that runs one in his 07 D max with a Tuner.
Their spec sheet stated not compatible with Biodiesel. It's a really nice plug and play
setup though with pump options capable of supporting Big Power and Dual CP3's
Have not had to replace Injectors yet ? You probably will. The Duramax forum is filled with
guys like us dealing with similar issues that have never seen Biodiesel. We polish our fuel to 1 micron and still had injector issues ,, the lift pump should have been added as soon as we started burning Biodiesel. Check out www.kennedydiesel.com ,, he has a Billet fuel pickup that replaces the OEM piece. Even though the LB7 fuel system is 1/2 inch the bottom of the plastic OEM fuel pick up is only 1/4 inch. Not sure how GM engineering justified that. IMO is a problem for those with a big flow requirement and a restriction for us also using a heavier fuel. ( Especially when it's cold )
You go 4 wheeling on the Big Island ??
Cool

regards
Tom

2003 LB7
B100 for over 2 years now.