BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  Two Tank Systems    5.9 Cummins or 7.3/6.0 Powerstroke?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

5.9 Cummins or 7.3/6.0 Powerstroke?
 Login/Join

posted
I've located a couple good deals.

02 f350 7.3 dually flatbed 140K
03 f450 6.0 dually cab/chassis 110K
96 3500 5.9 cummins dually flatbed 125K

If I had to pic one it would probably be the f350. Only because the f450 is a 6.0 and I have heard they can be problematic just running diesel. I have always heard the 94-98.5 cummins is the best choice and if I got one I would prefer to get a 98.5, but I have seen no deals on them. I have no problem getting PS or Cummins, but I do favor the 99 up ford body style over the older ones.

I'm New Port Richey FL, so do I really need a kit? Could I just run a blend and start / stop on diesel?

I'm ready and able to pull the trigger and get this going, just wanted to see if anything has changed over the last couple years. Which is when I first looked into doing it, but just never got to it, but I'm ready to go now.

Location: NPR, Florida | Registered: January 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the 03 to 07 5.9 cummins. But the 94-98.5 is a great engine in a truck that needs a lot of work. 7.3 is a good engine but still not as good as the 5.9. as stated. I am not a fan of blending. Because it never started right for me except in low percentages of veg and then what is the point.

More important is do you have grease, and a way to filter it. Converting the vehicles to run on grease is easy and you only have to do it once. Getting the grease and cleaning it for years is harder. I have the same problem with bio.

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL | Registered: June 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm actually in the process of setting up a collection company. The only reason I'm even considering doing it, is because I will have the help/training from a large existing wvo collection recycling company. They have been in business for many years and get new accounts all the time. So if all goes well, I should have plenty of good filtered grease.

Location: NPR, Florida | Registered: January 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maddasher:
I like the 03 to 07 5.9 cummins. But the 94-98.5 is a great engine in a truck that needs a lot of work.

Can you elaborate on "truck that needs a lot of work"?

posted Hide Post
At this point they are all over 15 years old. They were known for engines that would probably out last the truck. The front end parts wear out, steering parts. Dashboards are almost all cracked, and if it is not there is rust. Switches go bad. I had a 1995 from 240k miles to 350k miles. Ball joints cost money. Brakes and discs cost money, and time. I was messing with the fuel lift pump and fittings and hoses more than I should have. The radiator fans go out or do not work hard enough and the A/C does not work right to go with that. You need a new thermostat. I paid $4000 for my truck and put about $12k worth of repairs in it. And sold it for $4000. But I drove over 100k miles on grease and used it to tow vehicle across the east cost and go paid for it. The heater died and I could not drive up north in the winter and it was a pain in the butt to drive around town, It was hard to park and I always sounded the like the garbage man was coming when I pulled up to someone's house.

It is a great grease vehicle. But it is not bulletproof. Start filtering now and get ahead. Getting a truck and getting it to run on grease is easy and you only have to do it once. Sometimes I have to filter every day not always. And it took me years to get filtering to work really well. I use a centrifuge and dewater I have settling tanks and ready to go tank with a pump and "filling Station".

I got my wife's Jeep running perfectly in two day. And it now has 100k grease miles on it with minimal repair --timing belt was major and ball joints I both hired out but brakes, and oil changes, and fluid flushes and thermo were the only others things it needed.

Good luck. If you really need help I am not that far away.

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL | Registered: June 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 98.5 24V. The 98.5-02 are not good candidates for a 2 tank system because the VP44 injection pump likes it's fuel to be no warmer than 90 deg F that is what keeps it cool.
I just buy commercial BD (B20 is all I can find)for now. I bought a processor but can't find a close local source for methanol or Koh.

As far as front end rebuilds all vehicles wear out after 10 years of use!

Dave

84 MB 300D Turbo Diesel
98.5 Dodge Cummins 5.9
96 B7100 Kubota

Location: leavittsburg,Ohio | Registered: September 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I love my 7.3 PSD. Very reliable, interior of truck is far superior to Dodge and much more comfortable. I just recommend to not buy something that needs a lot of work b/c its hard to stay motivated with the horse in the stall every weekend.

2002 Ford Excursion 7.3. Heavily modified GFS Conversion w/ Fass Fuel Pump and VO Controller. 70k miles and going up.
1995 Dodge Cummins W/ Custom 2-Tank Setup and 60 K miles on veg oil. (sold)
1984 300D-Daily Driver No Mods single tank and 25 K miles on veg. (sold)

Location: Knoxville,TN | Registered: October 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post