BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  Two Tank Systems    blending in a two tank conversion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

blending in a two tank conversion
 Login/Join

posted
I have a two tank converted 96 dodge cummins with 3 manual valves as per sunwizards design.
I only run straight oil on the hwy, as soon as I hit town I purge to diesel once through town back to oil.
I am on holidays now and doing a lot of town driving so I mixed up a blend of 50% veg 45% diesel and 5% gas to put in my diesel tank. I turn on my megatherm before starting to warm the oil a bit it starts and runs no different than on diesel no smoke same idle. the manual valves are set on diesel the filter valve is set on veg so the blend runs through the heated filter and fphe, and the return is set to diesel. This has now cut my diesel cost in half. When I return back up north I will still run this blend till the end of summer.
Just a thought for anyone doing lot of short trips not on the hwy.

96 dodge ram 2500 12 valve cummins, 4 inch lift kit, 4 inch stainless exhaust, cold air intake, b+d performance transmission, 2 tank wvo conversion using sun wizards design, plantdrive conversion vegmax2, megatherm, 30fphe, arctic fox tank heater, 3 manual 3 way valves, looped return on veggie

Location: bc canada | Registered: September 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it was my truck, I would purge the blend out of the fuel system at the end of the day.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cant purge out the 50% wvo, that is my purge. I run 90% wvo and 10% diesel in my veg tank all year. With it being summer and warm out I don't see any issues running 50% wvo in my diesel tank.
I think people are a little paranoid about running any kind of blend especially unheated for fear of carbon. My buddy here on Vancouver island has ran a 75 wvo and 20 rug and 5 diesel in his 89 190 d Mercedes for almost 5 years over 50000 kms on this blend unheated to boot. He just pulled the head as his head gasket was weeping abit and was curious how the inside looked after running that long on veg.
To our surprise no carbon on the injectors the cylinders pistons nothing, only place a bit was the pre combustion chamber but hardly any. So what gives if its so bad to run a blend how come no signs of it. he also runs same mix in his 2003 dodge cummins with common rail injection 73000 kms on veg oil, he hasn't looked inside the motor but no ill affects no smoke, starts the same.
I think whats happening and I have heard this that the engine is final heat exchanger, so I used my heat gun and shot it at his injectors right after he came off the hwy with it still running 158 deg that's on his Mercedes.
I think a lot of what we think is assuming, how many engines have actually been torn apart after running wvo for a considerable time, and I don't include the tdi horror story everyone refers too. Someone that filters, their oil makes sure no water, changes oil regularly like he does every 5000 kms, does all the right things. I am not saying to not heat your oil that's why I went to a two tank setup, that is proven that hotter oil is better.
Food for thought.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 96 canola,

Location: bc canada | Registered: September 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post