BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  Two Tank Systems    96 dodge cummins conversion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

96 dodge cummins conversion
 Login/Join

posted
Completed my conversion on my 96 dodge Cummins last sept and has been running flawless since then, even in very cold temps -28 Celsius was the coldest I ran it.
I copied sun wizards design and used parts supplied by plant drive in b.c Canada. I found what works for me really well in the cold temps is to mix in 10% diesel while I am centrifuging the oil it really cuts down the viscosity when I am pouring into the second tank.
I have a arctic fox heater in the tank, 30 plate heat exchanger and plant drive heated filter. All lines are insulated including injector lines and veggie return line which is looped. With 180 thermostat radiator completely plugged off I can maintain 160 to 165 oil even when its cold except for coasting downhill or going through town.
I had purchased the megatherm from Ed when I bought my conversion but never installed it until 2 weeks ago, Wow wish I had installed earlier, on the hwy now even in cold temps the megatherm boosts my oil temp to just over 180 deg and will cycle few deg up or down.
My boost gauges runs identically the same on diesel or veggie 4 pounds at 60 mph and pyro runs 600 deg showing complete combustion, just did 300 km trip on hwy pushing it hard in cold temps with megatherm on got just over 30 mpg.
In my opinion the secret to the best running wvo vehicle no matter which one you choose, is filtering and prepping your oil. I am very fortunate to have a huge supply of canola oil that is changed daily and put back in the original cubies, I get almost 500 liters per month.
I bring them home write the date on the cubie and settle them in my my garage for almost 2 months, pour through 100 micron barrel filter, heat to 150 deg then centrifuge with my pa biodiesel 65 gph centrifuge for around 9 to 10 hrs, cleaning the centrifuge three times. Even on the 3rd pass there is still slight residual left in the barrel, I then add 20 litres diesel and blend in centrifuge for another hr and done. Pump into 45 gal drums and stored.
I have had zero issues doing it this way the truck runs no different on veg than diesel, I do not switch to veg until filter temp is up to 180 and I purge approx. 5 kms from my house and bag on it up the long hill to my house on diesel with high concentration of diesel kleen in my diesel tank.
Every couple weeks I take it out on the hwy on diesel and put it to the bars and hold it let the pyro come up to 1100 clean any junk out of the motor purrs like a kitten after
So friends don't buy cheap conversion parts, keep the oil hot, filter filter filter, don't switch over too soon to save what 25 cents, don't purge too late and bag on it once in a while diesel motors are meant to be worked

96 dodge ram 2500 12 valve cummins, 4 inch lift kit, 4 inch stainless exhaust, cold air intake, b+d performance transmission, 2 tank wvo conversion using sun wizards design, plantdrive conversion vegmax2, megatherm, 30fphe, arctic fox tank heater, 3 manual 3 way valves, looped return on veggie

Location: bc canada | Registered: September 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds from your description, your VO conversion system is solid. Seeing you like in a cold climate, a suggestion: CF the settled VO cold rather than heated. I have found my WVO, although it looks quite clean, contains FATS. My VO filter lasts many more miles between changes - presently +10K miles on it. I run my WVO cold through SimpleCentrifuge at 1/2 gal/min.

posted Hide Post
The fryer oil that we use in Canada is not supposed to have any fats in it only straight canola oil. I have done numerous freezer tests in mason jars with different % of rug and diesel to see how each one reacts or different settling rates and never had any visible fat in my samples.
Some locations where my buddy gets his oil it is in large outside bins, everything goes in it bacon grease, lard etc, he tries to skim off the top layer leave the crap behind.
Your suggestion makes valid sense that the centrifuge would be able to take out the solid cold pieces and thus give you a cleaner oil. I am very fortunate to have very clean oil as it is a very busy restaurant and they go through 18 litres per day, that's 7 cubies a week 18 litres in each 126 litres a week. I cant burn that much, I feel like a canola oil tycoon and my garage looks like a French fry nightmare. I love it, we don't even drive our Toyota Camry anymore unless its in town, any trips we do is the green beast. We just did a 1280 km round trip it cost no more than 7$ I got 750 mpg of diesel used, there is no vehicle on the road that's runs as good, has very small carbon footprint and is co2 neutral as a wvo vehicle.
When I see a granola head driving a hybrid I always try to pass them then slow down and smile, you just know they are irritated big green lifted noisy diesel belching- hey wait a minute you smell onion rings- god I love that smell.

96 dodge ram 2500 12 valve cummins, 4 inch lift kit, 4 inch stainless exhaust, cold air intake, b+d performance transmission, 2 tank wvo conversion using sun wizards design, plantdrive conversion vegmax2, megatherm, 30fphe, arctic fox tank heater, 3 manual 3 way valves, looped return on veggie

Location: bc canada | Registered: September 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The fryer oil that we use in Canada is not supposed to have any fats in it only straight canola oil.

That is an incorrect assumption. While it's predominately canola, some soy oil is used as well. Both the canola and soy oil my contain hydrogenated oils, which act just like animal fats from a fuel management perspective. Most fryer oil in Canada contains a lot of fats from the pig, chicken, fish and other animal products cooked in it.

If these fats and hydrogenated oils are not removed, then they will clog screens and filters in any part of the fuel system that is unheated. Settling at outside temperatures and cold filtering can remove those fats before they go into the vehicle tank. If you use a lot of oil then a centrifuge might be worth the cost and extra handling it entails.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I am fortunate then. I have had the same filter which is heated for 7 months now and fuel pressure has not changed, my whole system is heated from the tank, my fuel line runs beside my coolant lines wrapped in pipe insulation then slid into 2 inch pvc pipe that runs from my tank to my engine compartment, into my heated vegmax2 filter, then into 30 plate heat exchanger then into megatherm electric heater through insulted lines into my ip then through insulted injection lines into the injector. There is no exposed parts for the cold to get at, so if there is fats in my oil it hasn't bothered me yet, and I do centrifuge my oil in 45 gal drums {55 American} for 9 to 10 hrs.

posted Hide Post
Just got back from 3 week holiday 4900 kms or 3062 miles. I used 433 litres of veg oil and 108 litres of diesel, Average is 25.7 mpg, that's all the town driving and hwy combined.
The hwy mpg on oil averaged 29.8 mpg that's with 1200 pounds of oil in the box 2 people 2 dogs and all our gear for the holidays.
Total cost for the trip was $170.54 that's for the diesel used and the 10% diesel that I blend in my veg tank. That would be the cost for me to just fill my diesel tank as diesel is now 4.60 a gallon American or 5.60 a gallon Canadian.
The conversion was flawless no issues at all. I am very picky about running oil I do not switch until fully warmed up engine 180 deg, I do not run in town or even through a town if I am on the hwy I will switch back to diesel until I am up to hwy speeds then back to veg. I always purge a couple of miles before my destination and giver a bit to clean out the motor.
I did a oil change on holidays at 4900 kms I use Supertech 15w40 walmart oil and the oil was still clean you could see through to the markings on the dipstick, that's run about 95% on oil. The motor seems to run cleaner on veg oil as It wasn't that clean before I converted it.
I saved 533$ on just this trip, in two weeks have to do another 3000 kms That's another big saving.
A side note I contacted by email our taxation department and they said veg oil is not subject to motor fuel tax or carbon tax only if you turn it into biodiesel. Its a win win.

posted Hide Post
How many liters are in the 'gallon' you use to measure your fuel consumption and calculate 'mpg'?

Methanol is used to make biodiesel.
Methanol is taxed as a fuel + sales tax.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4.54 litres to Canadian gallon, And yes biodiesel and diesel made from hydrogenation process from veg oil they said is taxable but veg oil is not.

posted Hide Post
So you're saying that people in BC who make biodiesel from UVO are supposed to pay tax on it?
Do you know anyone who does?

That would be 21mpg to 24mpg in the normal mpg that most people use to compare fuel use.

posted Hide Post
Hi John,

quote:
So you're saying that people in BC who make biodiesel from UVO are supposed to pay tax on it?
http://www.google.com.au/url?s...vm=bv.95515949,d.dGc
"Motor fuel tax and carbon tax apply to ethanol at the same rate as gasoline, and to biodiesel at the same rate as diesel"

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No I don't know anyone who does but also don't know anyone around here who uses it. You not only pay motor fuel tax you pay carbon tax too.
And your point 21 to 24 mpg means what? im not comparing to anyone I don't care what other people get for mpg. Im sharing my experience with everyone to see how well wvo works and can save money is all.
I know you mean well John {sometimes} but it seams you are always on the side of confrontational, a person says something, you question it, or that's not the right way to do it, or that's not really that great. I have been doing this long enough to know what I am doing, have an awesome conversion that runs flawless, and want to encourage other people to do it.
You might try saying something nice once in awhile, like good job, well done. We are here to share and encourage, not belittle or condescend.
For someone who thinks they know everything, I would of thought you would know the law on running this stuff. I don't need some smartass remark either, just a thankyou I will try to be nicer will suffice.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 96 canola:
.. I have been doing this long enough to know what I am doing, have an awesome conversion that runs flawless, and want to encourage other people to do it.

I'm happy for you, good job, well done.

The point about mpg is that this forum is mostly read by Americans and an international audience and they don't know about Canadian miles per gallon. To the rest of the world outside Canada MPG is miles per US gallon [3.73 liters]. Liters per hundred kilometers is a universal fuel use standard.

posted Hide Post
Hi John,

quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
The point about mpg is that this forum is mostly read by Americans and an international audience and they don't know about Canadian miles per gallon. To the rest of the world outside Canada MPG is miles per US gallon [3.73 liters]. Liters per hundred kilometers is a universal fuel use standard.
In Australia, while it is more common to see mileage written as Litres per 100 km. (L/100km) MPG is also often quoted and the imperial gallon ( 4.54609 litres) is the gallon used in this case.
I imagine the UK also uses the imperial gallon when they calculate MPG.

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sorry, I can clarify I averaged 21 mpg on veg oil driving in city and hwy and straight hwy 24 mpg AMERICAN. CANADIAN OR IMPERIAL 25.7mpg hwy and city and 29.8 mpg on the hwy.
Sorry John For coming across like an ass, I just don't want people discouraged to come on here and share their experiences, that's how we all learn. I have big shoulders and have never cared w2hat people think. Some do that's seems why we see people lose interest in these in these discussions and they go somewhere else or give up even trying to experiment.
Now that I have done this I cant even imagine running my truck on anything else. One long trip saving over $500, In 2 weeks another $300 or more that alone almost pays for the conversion, to me thats a lot of money and it helps the environment.