Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

5.9 cummins common rail
 Login/Join

posted
i'm looking into buying a dodge with a 5.9 cummins. i was wondering if they work properly burning 100% waste veg oil and how they stack up against a7.3 powerstroke. no dpf or egr and asuming my oil is very clean.

any thoughts would be apreciated thanks.

posted Hide Post
I think they are great, there is a local greaser than I give grease to that has one it is an incredible truck. It is a straight forward conversion, that needs an electric fuel pump and three valves. In line 6 makes it an easier truck to work on than a 7.3 in my opinion but that is subjective.

If I had the money for a nice 2006 with a 5.9 cummins I would use a WVO design fuel pump with a semi-truck filter head. Tall slim tank in in the bed that goes edge to edge with the output on the bottom. Fuel pump mounted to the frame. Filter coolant wrapped in the engine bay or on the frame with the FPHE and three switching valves. One that switches fuel, one for the return to tank for both diesel and veg, and a third that has the diesel pump circulate back to the diesel tank. The purge has diesel going in and the return going to the veg tank for about ten seconds!

I personally like to heat the common rail with a line heater that is on all of the time.

I would run all of the coolant lines and fuel line out of 1/2 inch and 3/8 inch Pex with push lock connectors. I would probably use sharkbite fittings for the 1/2 coolant lines.

I like the greasecar large truck switching valves also.

That really did not answer your question did it.

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL | Registered: June 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well i appreciate your input,and i'll check out them valves you were talking about and maybe you could tell me how to heat the common rail or where to look. i think the 5.9 is at least a tough platform to start too,realy like the idea of a strait motor. i personaly think they are tougher than v motors.anyway thanks jeff.

posted Hide Post
I am not very good with pictures but this is a link to my Jeep Liberty CRD with a common rail same idea if a little different. http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum...pic.php?f=94&t=61532 Jeep CRD The fourth picture down is the engine bay you can see the filter in the foreground and the commonrail is in the middle wrapped in Orange silicon tape. I wired both of my Common rail vehicles like this and wired directly to the fuse box and it turns on with the key. It is not really heating the fuel in the rail it is taking the cold out of the rail.

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL | Registered: June 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

thanks for that robert,i bought the truck i was looking at and also found a guy with the same truck who has been running 100% wvo cleaned by cf in his truck since 08. he told me he has a biofuels technoligies type conversion(it was under a different name when he bought it)and said i was welcome to look at it if i liked.
I plan to do a home made conversion (right now lol) so if i do i will be able to rob some of the ideas from your conversion where you use some electrical heat on the common rail. don't know if he has it. thanks jeff

posted Hide Post
I have a custom system that I installed last summer on my 2003 Dodge. I pieced it together to get exactly what I wanted. I have a 90g toolbox/tank that I installed an Artic Fox heated pickup. It then goes to Racor 1000 series that is heated. I used a WVO Designs vegetable oil pump. The filter and pump are mounted to the side of the tool box. I used Golden Fuel Systems 4 hose sheath setup to supply fuel and coolant. The fuel travels from the tank through the heated pick up tube, the heated Racor, the pump and then through the jacketed hose to the engine compartment. Under the hood, I installed a WVO Desgins heated filter head and a WVO Designs 30 plate heat exchanger and used a three valve switching setup. I insulated all of the hoses with the split style HDPE insulation for water pipes available at the hardware store. I installed a timer and switch available from Golden Fuel Systems that does an automatic purge when switching from veg oil back to diesel.

I love everything, my only problem is finding enough vegetable oil to burn.

You might look at this system I found on Craigslist; it's a heck of a bargain.

http://memphis.craigslist.org/pts/4912071288.html

Adrian