BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  Two Tank Systems    Pre-injection temps in a Vegistroke-type conversion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-injection temps in a Vegistroke-type conversion
 Login/Join

posted
Hey all, i'd like to compare the temperatures i'm seeing in my vegistroke-type conversion with what others on this forum are seeing. I worry i'm not getting it hot enough and need to add more heat.

Quick system info: The truck is a '99, 7.3 F250. All conversion components are on the passenger-side frame rail. The veg. oil is routed HOH from the tank down to the fuel pump, but after that there's no space for HOH or insulation so it's bare hose to the filter head (WVO designs, coolant-heated), then a 30-plate FPHE, fuel pressure regulator, then past the pressure and temp sensors. From there it goes into the engine compartment (uninsulated injection hose). I have insulation / wind shields around the components, and insulating sleeves on both the coolant and VO filters. The FPR is plumbed so that excess VO is routed back to the suction side of the pump to recover some heat.

The highest steady-state temperature i see while driving is in the low 150's (towing, uphill). Typically it's more like the 140's (level, not towing), and in some cases it goes into the 130's (long downhills, highway speeds, weather in the 40's). I switch to VO when i hit 150 initially (about 7 miles) and always switch back to diesel if it drops below 140.

The conversion in my old IDI was all inside the engine compartment and got a lot hotter. It was normally 180 degrees leaving the FPHE. Of course, it cooled some as it went through 5 or 6 feet of tubing and valves, but still this is a lot higher than 150. I know the Powerstroke will heat the veg. oil some as it enters the fuel rail, but does anybody here have an idea how much? I'm concerned that VO leaving the FPHE at 150 is a lot cooler by the time it reaches the fuel rails (maybe as low as 130), and isn't being heated back up enough for proper injection during its limited time in the rail.

Thanks for any thoughts or input!

1999 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
Vegistroke-type SVO conversion
37g. tank in bed

Location: Travelling | Registered: July 28, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post