BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Equipment    How to Reset Biopro methoxide mixer

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to Reset Biopro methoxide mixer
 Login/Join

posted
My biopro tripped during a batch. Now the methoxide mixing motor is making a humming noise but won't run.

Nobody home at Springboard (Saturday).

I did a hard reset on the machine but the mixer motor or methoxide pump still won't run.

Anybody here ever run into this and know how to reset just the pump?

Location: Dexter, MI | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never seen a bio pro but if your motor is humming and nothing is happening then it sounds like its either jammed, has a bad start switch or burnt capacitor. I have no idea what type of motor they use to give you specific advice...
Do not let it sit there and hum as you will fry the windings and could start a fire if the motor has no overload...
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kevinh:
My biopro tripped during a batch. Now the methoxide mixing motor is making a humming noise but won't run.

Nobody home at Springboard (Saturday).

I did a hard reset on the machine but the mixer motor or methoxide pump still won't run.

Anybody here ever run into this and know how to reset just the pump?

The methoxide and methanol in pumps are the same, just swap them out for now. The pump is easy to dismantle, you can pop the head off with four screws and then see if the motor is frozen or the pump is locked. Mine froze up because regardless of all the preaching Springboard does, they assembled it with teflon tape instead of sealant and big chunks of it went into the gears.

Reach inside the tank with a channel lock pliers to loosen the fitting, remove the nut, pull the four bolts holding the two pumps together and unhook the wires. Lift straight up and out. Five minutes at the most.

Norman

Location: Lincoln, NE | Registered: April 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys - I think it was bound up on a chunk of NaOH in the tank. After some well placed "tapping" and start-stopping it started up again.

Location: Dexter, MI | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has been suggested that regular flushing (after 15 or so batches) with vinegar will remove the small build up of NaOH on the pump and screen. Run a gallon of vinegar through the tank and pump, then flush out with a bit of methanol to dry it.

posted Hide Post
I'd recommend moving that number to "after 4-5 batches".
Especially if you're using NaOH.

-Graydon

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post