I thought I'd post pics of our new steel, cone-bottom WVO and biodiesel drying tanks. The base design is from Murphy of Murphy's Machines (thanks Paul). I'd highly recommend his plans to anyone...great, detailed work.
We're building two of these - one to dry the raw WVO, and one to dry the finished biodiesel. That'll free up our BioPro 150 machine for a LOT more through-put.
Here's my tank, which will be for finished biodiesel. It will get a 2nd 55-gal. drum welded to the top of the first one. The legs started life as these rear wheel guards from a couple Jeep CJ-10a aircraft tugs I used to own (see below). I have a fetish for my Milwaukee grinders , and used them to cut/grind/notch the legs to support the drum on the sides, and a little under the cone. I'll also gusset each leg, welding a wedge between the leg and the bottom of the cone.
I'm using a Millermatic 135 MIG welder (115V machine), 0.24 wire, and 75/25 gas. The 0.24 wire workes BEAUTIFULLY on this thin-gauge stuff. It's the first I have used the smaller-gauge wire, as I'm usually welding heavier stuff with 0.30. Thanks again to Murphy for the recommendation on the thinner-gauge wire (mentioned in his plans, also).
Here's the thread for our complete biodiesel lab.
Biodiesel drying drum in-the-works:
Jeep CJ-10a - source for my drying drum legs:
|Powered by Social Strata|