BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Equipment    2 questions please

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 questions please
 Login/Join

posted
Hi.

please tell me;
1. what size pump do i need for a 3000 liter reactor ?

2. can a diesel tank (3000 liter tank) be used as to build my reactor ?

tnks in advance

posted Hide Post
i am certain one can use ANY tank (within reason) to build a reactor. tanks include (but does not HAVE TO HAVE) the following. It is up to you what you can do without... A "cone shape" bottom helps with draining glycerin (IF you leave the reaction in your reactor for settling). Pumping everything into a separate settling tank, would eliminate the need for a cone shape bottom. Tall upright tanks seem to help with the mixing process. hence the reason why water heaters are so popular. Theres no absolute measurement, but a tank should typically be taller than it is wider. The taller design also aids draining, if you combine this with a cone bottom. I dont know if this "upright" design has any benefit with regards to heat retention, but it might. as for your other question, Ive heard that the rule of thumb is that your pump should be able to mix your whole batch in 5 to 10 min... in other words, if you have a pump that can handle 10 gal/min, you COULD theoretically hook that up to a 50 gallon reactor (10 gal/min x 5 minutes = 50 gallons)... but... take into consideration the viscosity of oil/biodiesel... these pumps are rated for water, which is allot thinner, and a pump that can pump 10 gallons of water per minute, would be slightly (7 g/min??) less when it has to pump oil/biodiesel... thats my amateur 2 cents worth

2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greenface:
Hi.

please tell me;
1. what size pump do i need for a 3000 liter reactor ?

2. can a diesel tank (3000 liter tank) be used as to build my reactor ?

tnks in advance

1. You would want our 3hp version of this pump:
http://www.murphysmachines.com/pump_motor.html

2. Yes if its don't right it can be. I was going to design plans to turn a diesel fuel tank into a reactor but just didn't get past the rough drawings stages.. I had other projects going.

If you're serious, I'd be happy to help. Check out my website for more info. We have some MM500 plans here: http://www.murphysmachines.com/MM500.html that might be of interest.

You don't need my plans to build what you're after though.. Its not rocket science. Just draw up what you're trying to achieve and work through the bugs and layout before you spend money on building anything. Always good to have a plan.

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA