BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Equipment    Home made Vacuum Venturi
Page 1 ... 19 20 21 22

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home made Vacuum Venturi
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Thanks Rick. I'll look at that.

posted Hide Post
Inspired from the work JohnO did detailed HERE I decided to make one out of some copper bits.

With a 1/4 hose it sucks up room temp veggie oil at about 1 liter in 55sec. I hope that will be enough.

I know in the first picture that the nozzle does not look like it is in the center but it is in the final assembly.

quote:
Originally posted by Murphy: In short, this place is like a multi-dimensional bull$hit detector on steroids

Imageventurismall.jpg (17 Kb, 186 downloads)

Location: In the Pacific Somewhere | Registered: January 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is another picture.

quote:
Originally posted by Murphy: In short, this place is like a multi-dimensional bull$hit detector on steroids

Imageventurismall2.jpg (19 Kb, 192 downloads)

Location: In the Pacific Somewhere | Registered: January 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paulb3: you're an inspiration. Tell us about the nozzle. I'll be very interested to hear how it works for things other than sucking oil.

Cheers,
JohnO

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know I don't really remember what the copper bit is called that I made the nozzle out of but from information that you provided in your build and from a few messages back and forth from Rick Da Tech I was able to do it.

The nozzle is a 1/2" tube that is rounded at one end with a 1/4" hole drilled into it. 3/4" male NPT fitting with a 1/2" to 3/4" reducer that had the 1/2" stop numbs filed out. And then a 1/2" female NPT fitting on the end. The draw/vacuum side I did a similar thing with the left over 1/2" copper tube from the nozzle as the part is about 8" long that is cut down. The 1/2" tube is about 3/8" above the nozzle in the TEE.

Right now the only way I could test it was to install it in my appleseed setup and the back pressure on the pump is between only 8 and 9 psi.

EDIT: The hose is more like 3/8" the ID of the barb is a little larger than 1/4" but the OD of the barb is a little over 3/8"

quote:

posted Hide Post
If you need more suction, make the hole smaller. It's a balancing act, between flow rate of the pumped oil, and suction created in the venturi. Are you going to use it for methanol recovery, or to introduce methoxide into a biodiesel processor?
Cheers,
JohnO

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Just going to use it as methanol recovery. I introduce the methoxide the traditional appleseed fashion.

quote:

posted Hide Post
Just a small update I got about 2" Hg with my cobbled together venturi. Finally borrowed a gauge from a friend.

quote:

posted Hide Post
Can anybody draw me up a venturi design which I can show to a machine shop? This will be basically for methoxide injection and my pipe diameter from the pump is about 1/2"

Location: q.c. philippines | Registered: August 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi all ,I'm a long time lurker and reader .I've just finisher a GL1 day rig and now thanks to nzunimogger I have a successful venturi! 6 attempts at copper beating in 20mm pipe , some success but not sufficient suck .The poured lead around a turned wooden plug inside a threaded 20mm brass pipe proved excellent .I use a 40l per min pump and found a 6mm venturi apperure with a 5mm inlet gives me 1 litre per min up take at 1 metre lift ..

I'm happy ....and thanks for the idea nzunimogger !

Location: NSW Australia | Registered: April 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A comment about lead: it is one of the metals used to polymerize vegetable oil. The others were copper and iron. Using a poured-lead venturi might lead to shortened storage life, in theory. "Shortened storage life" might mean "only 2 years", or might mean "only 1 year", but probably not "only 1 month". The effect (when making paint) is greater with lead with than copper or iron. My system uses some copper, and my SVO and Biodiesel seem to store ok for over a year in a steel tank, and at least 2 years in a plastic tote out of the sun.
PeterSibley: congratulations on a successful venturi! Let us know what your fuel storage life is, and if you see any signs of incipient polymerization. I doubt that you'll notice any difference compared to any process that avoids lead and copper entirely, but it would be nice to have someone's actual experience as part of the record. I expect someone (with no first-hand experience) to warn us that your fuel will rapidly degrade.
Cheers,
JohnO

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jamesrl:
Yes I'm still making venturi's, here's another three.

As you can see they have been made for iron pipework.

From left to right.

3/4" for pumps over 60ltr/min flow.
3/4" for Clearwater, HF and Grunfos pumps up to 60ltr/min.
1" for Clearwater, HF and Grunfos pumps up to 60ltr/min.

These will be going to USA, Europe and Australia.

Jim.

Jim,
Is it possible to sell me the "3/4" for Clearwater, HF and Grunfos pumps up to 60ltr/min "and send to Brasill and what would be the price?

Regards,
Bruno Goes