BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Equipment    Home made Vacuum Venturi
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 22

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home made Vacuum Venturi
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jamesrl:
I'll post a section sketch soon. Don't have time tonight, off for a night out down the old rubba dub (Public house, Pub) wiv me old China (china plate - mate, friend). So it's a quick S**t, shower n shave and down the frog (frog and toad, road) after I've giv'n the daisy's ( daisy roots, boots, shoes) a quick once over.
I'll talk to you ice creams (ice cream freezers, geezers, gentlemen) later.

I love reading your posts. Big Grin

--There is no Magic Bullet.--

If bigger is safer, buses are safest.
Save yourself, use Transit.

Location: Clemson, SC | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's nice to know someone is reading and enjoying them, they are, after all to educate and enliten those who wish to learn, or for those that don't, get some info rammed down there gully 'oles (throats).

Yours Most Sincerely.

James

Location: Suffolk, UK | Registered: November 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jamesrl:
It's nice to know someone is reading and enjoying them, they are, after all to educate and enliten those who wish to learn, or for those that don't, get some info rammed down there gully 'oles (throats).

Yours Most Sincerely.

James

For educational purposes, wouldn't that be gully 'oles (gullet holes,throats). Big Grin I too enjoyed the fun and levity, uhm, I mean the info getting shoved down the ol pie hole, (throat).

Dave

Location: Portland | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The new type Venturi.
The venturi itself is fixed inside a piece of standard pipe, making it more robust. It dosen't work any better than previous models, it's just stronger.

As I first suggested on page eight of this thread. Nice to see someone pays attention and takes it onboard. How do you want to forward the royalties? Wink LOL

mathematical elegance -- desired result achieved with minimal complication

Location: Manchester UK | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Ant,

Nice to hear from you again. Are you refering to the venturi Graham drew for you, If so there's no connection between yours and mine, therefore no royalties, sorry.

You might even owe me some, as I had pulished the venturi design you used, all be it drawn from copper pipe and not fittings, long before you, so there. Razz Razz Razz

Location: Suffolk, UK | Registered: November 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ant:
Thank you gents. The output 22mm adaptor is purely to fit to the adaptor not shown that goes from 22mm compression to inch bsp female threaded. I have an inch bsp male threaded inlet on my tank. The 15mm tube passes inside that and into the tank.

I have just got some quarter inch (6mm) to half inch reducer that will mate with 8mm and 15mm metric adaptors with a bit of push and solder. sometime in the next week or so I hope to try my next generation lego venturi. I have two designs in mind and am not sure how each one will work. The both use a quarter inch female with qurter inch pipe soldered in for the outlet jet and a qurter inch female without the pipe for the inlet jet. I would also consider an 8mm fitting for the inlet jet.

The basic difference is that one design would use a 15mm tee as in my first attempt; the other an 8mm tee joining only the small ends of the reducers.

Both designs will need a steel or stainless inch bsp shell for mechanical strength. I have found this a slight problem with the current design due to the mechanical loading of the inch bsp hydraulic hose.

No James, I was refering to the last paragraph in the above posting where i identified that mechanical loading had caused me problems and that a steel shell would be the way to solve this problem. Perhaps you read it at the time then forgot about it until you felt `inspired` by your subconscious later. Easily done, especially as we get older, assuming you are least as old as I am.

Obviously I am glad you are using the design but we we all like to be credited for our contributions.

On a lighter note I did use the orifice dimensions from one of your designs when I made a lego venturi. This was dictated by the physics of the sitiuation. However since I only made one and you have made several jacketed venturis (so far) I think I shoild still be in pocket on that one Wink Now all I need is a numbered Swiss bank account to transfer the funds to...

Location: Manchester UK | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Point taken.
I bet you're a spring chicken compared to me, but if you are as old as you imply, how about I give you an account number for your wedge.

posted Hide Post
Well I'm old enough that my mind is no longer quite as efficient as it once was... I suspect you are older from comments you have made in the past.

You can save my royalties until there is enough for a pint I can collect if I`m ever passing. It would be nice to sit down with you for a chat in the pub if I happen by your way.

posted Hide Post
That would be nice, we could talk about the old day's. I remeber Nelsons home coming, that was a sad day.

I'll borrow a piggy bank from my great great grandson to put your royalties in. I'll let you know when you have enough for a pint, but allowing for inflation that could be a year or two away.

posted Hide Post
Jamesrl,

Have you ever tried to make venturi with "metal spinning metod:"

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwrk0SwDJhI&feature=related

posted Hide Post
I work in my garage with basic tools, a spinning machine with all the tooling is very expencive.
After watching the video clip, I recon if I started with the blank ready to work, the same as he has, I'd be finished shaping a cone before the got half way along the former, and carbon free.

I'll stick with my Magic Hammer. I did enjoy the video, thanks.

Jim.

posted Hide Post
Hi to all my readers,

Evolution marches on, I have now put my copper venturi's inside a pipe for added strenght, both 22mm/3/4"and 28mm/1".
The example in the attachment is 22mm/3/4" with compression fittings, screw and solder fittings are also available.

ImageCopper_pipe_venturi.JPG (50 Kb, 248 downloads)

posted Hide Post
I have posted my own design on another thread but would like to share it here.

I had a local machine shop here in my town manufacture a prototype out of mild steel for about $25 bucks. I found a hole-in-the-wall machine shop that wanted to make it for the hell of it.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Location: Utopia Planitia | Registered: February 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope you are going to store my royalties up as well Spencnaz lol. Be nice of someone to send me one of these venturi in steel tube jobs if they felt so inclined to reward me for the original idea. Never had time to make one myself.

Looking at your lovely diagram I notice you still use a side tube on the inner venturi. Is this strictly needed? would not a small hole in the venturi and a side tube in the steel pipe be easier to fabricate and work in much the same way? Which way do you do it Jim?

Just came online for an update on the original lego venturi. After changing the pump for a 60litre a minute one the LV could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch as the saying goes.

The meth goes in twice as fast but the oil is also moving twice as fast so the ratio of the mix stays the same. Faultless mixing and reactions.

posted Hide Post
Hi Ant,

Go back to my post from 12 Oct. page 10, you'll see how I make mine. These venturi's will suck in small children and animals.

60ltr/min? why not get a proper pump, I've got two 164ltr/min pumps. I wouldn't consider anything under 80ltr/min. I've just supplied a reactor and pump 134ltr/min to a customer, he couldn't believe it when it emptied his 200ltr storage tank in just 1 1/2 mins.

Jim.

Jim.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ant:
I hope you are going to store my royalties up as well Spencnaz lol. Be nice of someone to send me one of these venturi in steel tube jobs if they felt so inclined to reward me for the original idea. Never had time to make one myself.

Looking at your lovely diagram I notice you still use a side tube on the inner venturi. Is this strictly needed? would not a small hole in the venturi and a side tube in the steel pipe be easier to fabricate and work in much the same way? Which way do you do it Jim?

Just came online for an update on the original lego venturi. After changing the pump for a 60litre a minute one the LV could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch as the saying goes.

The meth goes in twice as fast but the oil is also moving twice as fast so the ratio of the mix stays the same. Faultless mixing and reactions.

Hi Ant,

I based the design on GL's processor and decided on machining it out of steel rather than working in copper.

The side tube is the suction port for the venturi. It will be tapped for a valve.

Location: Utopia Planitia | Registered: February 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
decided on machining it out of steel rather than working in copper.

Ahh I see. You machined it out of a solid steel bar. Not the copper in steel sheath type I suggested. Your's should be the last word in solid engineering and physical strength. Beyond my tools and skills to copy but nicely done.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Go back to my post from 12 Oct. page 10, you'll see how I make mine

Thanks I missed the body and core pic until you pointed me to it. I see you use a slit in the inner body for a hole and a side tube on the outer body for the suction connection. Easier to fabricate and both your earlier work and physics suggested it would work as well.

As for the pump... Well I really see no need to go larger than needed for the job in hand. The venturi does the vast majority of the mixing as the meth is added so there is no need for a faster pump.

The meth adds in around 14mins which is around two turnovers of the tank volume; a one in ten mixing ratio. This is a good time and ratio for the reaction time at the temps I use.
Everything is well mixed and almost finished reacting by the time the meth is all in.

More interesting is that the ratio stayed the same when the pump doubled in speed. This suggests a fixed ratio venturi could be made exactly on the 5 to 1 ratio needed for a continous process. I imagine it involves the relationship between the three main dia in the venturi. The main pipe, the neck and the suction port.

posted Hide Post
I will write an update on how the venturi is coming along tomorrow.

posted Hide Post
Update,

The first machine shop was unable to make the longer throat of the venturi with what tooling they had.

I conferred with another machinist and he said that a special bar/tool would have to be made to make the 10 degree throat.

I'm going to a technical college tomorrow to talk with them about what could be done to finish the part.