BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Equipment    Aluminium diaphram pump a no no?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aluminium diaphram pump a no no?
 Login/Join

posted
Hey Guys,

Id like to use a diaphragm pump for piece of mind but the polypropylene ones are still expensive, theres a cheap 1/2" ali pump available but according to the chemical resistance chart aluminium gets a "D - Severe effect-Not Recommended" with Potassium Hydroxide (50%)and Sodium Hydroxide (80% Solution)

Cheers

Stephen

posted Hide Post
Oops I should have searched on that one... please disregard

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/ev...=128107015#128107015

posted Hide Post
Hey Guys,

Ive got a couple of local New Zealand quotes for the Wilden Original P1 Plastic diaphragm pump:

Wilden ½” P1/PPPPP (Polypropylene)/TNU (PTFE W Neoprene backup)/TF (PTFE)/KTV (PVDF and PTFE Encapsulated Viton)

I think these plastic/rubber compounds are the best choice for making bio?

this comes to 858.83 USD

The versamatic is a fraction cheaper: http://vm.salesmrc.com/pdfs/e5_brochure.pdf

in regards to non sparking pumps what are you guys using these days? is there a cheaper alternative or pump technology??

im really keen to see how cheap (but safely) I can build this processor in the hope others can give it a go.

theres a $100NZD Wilden with BUNA N (nitrile) internals for sale but I gather this isnt safe..

cheers

Stephen

posted Hide Post
The best pump for making biodiesel in my experience is an open impeller design coupled to a TEFC motor. It laughs at fryer bits and glycerin blobs and produces top quality esters for many hours with no maintenance issues.
Safe and effective.
I would never consider a diaphragm pump for bio production, not the right tool for the job IMO.
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post