Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home
the "Biodiesel Boutique"

This topic can be found at:
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/919605551/m/8127061923

February 13, 2011, 10:35 PM
PD.Vancouver
the "Biodiesel Boutique"
I thought people here might be interested to view some photos of the "Biodiesel Boutique" a hobby level Biodiesel production plant in Vancouver, Canada. It consists of a custom modified extra tall shipping container that houses all equipment to produce 500 litres / day. The 9'6" tall container features a 3000 litre secondary containment floor, 2000 litre feed stock storage & 2000 litre finished BD storage. It was from a photo seen on this forum several years ago of a similar sized plant in someones shop that gave the inspiration to carry this out.
[IMG:left]
the Biodiesel Boutique
[IMG:left] [/IMG]
The extra high shipping container was cut down to 25 feet & several damaged panels & beams were repaired or replaced & man door installed.
8 interconnected secondary containment pans below floor, 3000 litre total capacity.
The Biodiesel plant is equipped with forced air, cross flow ventilation.
Inside the plant processing occurs from left to right with the transfer of products handled by pumps to the various processes until finished, where the Biodiesel is stored in two totes at the end.
Stainless Steel reactor is capable of producing 510 litres / day.
Propeller mixer to blend catalyst during reacting, 2 X 4500 watt heating elements & circulation pump. Epoxy / fiberglass hatch w/ seal & flange.
The plumbing is color coded to identify the different fluid circuits and simplify operation. Sight flow indicator assists in mixing & draining.
Titration work bench.
Stainless Steel Methoxide mixing tank w/ pneumatic mix drill, caustic hopper w/ blast gate. Above is pneumatic Methanol pump for transfer from Meth drum to mix tank.
Feedstock is stored in 2, 1050 litre totes until processing. The totes are filled through the pipe in the ceiling from outside by pressurizing the collection vacuum tank.
Wash / Dry tanks with integral water mist manifold with float shut off valves.
Wash / Dry tanks with integral water mist manifold with float shut off valves, heat elements, circulation pumps and air bubblers.
The finished fuel is stored in two 1050 litre totes where upon dispensing fuel is run through a final 1 micron filter.
450 litre vacuum tank to collect oil. (Empties 200 litre drum in 45 seconds.)
Collection drum
Approximately 85% of the materials and components utilized in the construction of this Biodiesel plant are scrap or used.
Also a word of thanks to the many friends and people that have contributed to this venture.
And here's what its all about... The Biodiesel powered 26 foot sportfishing vessel "the Good Ol' Boys" cruising at 27 knots in the desolate coastal waters of northern British Columbia.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PD.Vancouver,
February 13, 2011, 11:00 PM
BWilder
Interesting idea. Are you by chance affiliated with UBC with any of this? Also do you dry or wet wash? Vancouver is a hard market to get oil in, that's quite an ambitious throughput for a hobby.

edit: Ahh i see you added more pictures since my comment which answer my water washing question. Still quite a nice/neat setup.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BWilder,
February 13, 2011, 11:00 PM
fuelfarmer
That looks very nice. You need to spill a little oil to break it in. Smile
February 14, 2011, 05:53 AM
gdmccarty
Very cool!
February 14, 2011, 09:02 AM
Legal Eagle
Looks well thought out, although an upgrade to wood chip with resin purification would eliminate the need for water at all and make the whole thing more mobile should that be a concern. Very nice.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

February 14, 2011, 10:19 AM
freesoul
wow I would love it if our shop looked 1/10 as good as that!

February 14, 2011, 06:18 PM
JHD
Yes, it really is beautiful. Could you tell me a little about that agitator you mix with? Thanks.
February 15, 2011, 11:52 AM
BobAbbey
Excellent!
You have some very nice equipment there.
What is the processor made from? I really like that!

Bob

www.fullcyclesoap.com
February 15, 2011, 09:52 PM
Murphy
Wow.. Someone put a lot of hours into that.

That's once nice looking piece of equipment..

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA
March 04, 2016, 10:59 AM
RickDaTech
Awesome project.
Blast from the past.

Rick

www.Make-Biodiesel.org