BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Equipment    GL Push-Pull processor
Page 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GL Push-Pull processor
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Thanks Jon, that looks promising.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least you will be able to see the 'big picture', use a keyboard for input and test run it before uploading to the controller. I cant imagine trying to program it with the built in display! Razz
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It wasn't pretty.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are definitely other options out there. I think these units would be great for monitoring multiple sensors in different modes of operation. The windows programming tool is really easy to use, and the documentation is fantastic. I also like the cost at about $50 for the processor, and compatibility with most desk/laptops. I used an extra 12VDC power brick I had laying around to power the unit with a $2 electric voltage regulator and a couple capacitors. I cut an old serial cable in half to wire to the board. The only thing I really had to buy was a serial to USB adapter, the cheapo ones may not work.
I have seen pretty cheap PID controllers, but they could be controlled by the processor as well. I bought several servo controlled ball valves for cheap money. I'd like to automate as much of the process as possible. The unit will output data or directions, and will accept inputs while running as needed. Probably the biggest plus of this particular unit is the wealth of information, documentation, and ease of use.

Like I said, for what it's worth....
Bryan

Location: CT | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, many of the PIC units can apparently be painstaking and time consuming to program and debug. The basic stamp unit can be written for in a simple version of basic (Pbasic), and programmed and test run in minutes.
Thanks,
Bryan

Location: CT | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, many of the PIC units can apparently be painstaking and time consuming to program and debug.

I guess its all relative.
In days gone by I have played around with PLC's, PC's, PIC's, Atmels and smart cards. They all had their ups and downs, I would assume the Basic Stamp will too...
Sounds like a fun project!
If you look around you will be able to find some code examples of PID algorithms you could likely implement.
Let us know how you make out.
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have a hard time with the design of this processor.

This is the way I see this happening. If the system can not intake any air the unit would hit a stagnate situation.

The only available material for the system to vacuum out would be the expansion of the oil, air and Methanol. There would be a great expansion of the methanol, but would eventually hit an area where the material can not expand anymore. At this point, because nothing has the ability to expand, the vacuum system can not remove any more material, and is hitting a static state.

When this happens, the only thing left for the system to do it let the material re-enter the end product when the vessel is unpressurized.

I'm not sure at what percentage this would happen, but it should be noted that some methanol will be left in the biodiesel by my view of operation. This is based on the system only being run once. A person could stop the system, and let the vacuum subside, and resume the vacuuming operation.

I would like to hear any opinion on my view.

James L

Location: Central Alabama (Marion Junction) | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post