BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Equipment    GL Push-Pull processor
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 26

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GL Push-Pull processor
 Login/Join

posted
This is a development of the EcoProcessor.

It allows you to recover methanol from biodiesel and glycerol immediately after the reaction, without having to separate the two.

It limits back reaction by first neutralizing the catalyst, and then distilling under reduced pressure and temperature.

No water washing needed, not even 5% prewash.

Glycerol separation is within seconds after the de-meth cycle, when the pump is switched off.

An anti-foaming trap is included to minimise methanol contamination.

I developed a vacuum system specially for de-watering and distillation, which is also included.

For details see :-
http://www.graham-laming.com/bd/push_pull_processor/push_pull.htm

More detail will be added as I get the time available, but wanted to share the concept first.

Hope it is of interest.

Graham

Rover 75 + Skoda Fabia on B100
http://www.graham-laming.com

Bicycle on G100 12,000 miles p.a. ( http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/GrahamLaming )

Location: UK | Registered: December 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, you finally got it!
I've been reading the thread on demething before separation ever since I was told some of you guys were working on it, but were fighting against reverse reactions, and now, you cracked it!
Please, let us know when you post the complete process, so a rookie (namely "me") can understand it. Thank you.
Amazing work!

"When you don't think what you say, you say what you think" Jacinto Benavente.

"Wars not make one great" Yoda.

"A pessimist is a well informed optimist"

WWVhaCwgSSdtIGEgZ2Vlay4gU08gV0hBVD8=

Location: Miami, Florida. | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
I like it!

What is the temperature you are using in the rapeseed chamber? How much vacuum are you developing in the main tank?

How long does the rapeseed chamber last before you get enough bio contamination to warrant changing it out?

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some good ideas here Graham. Looks a bit like my post 16th April in the 'home made venturi' thread. A drum can be made to stand low internal pressure by giving it a concrete surround. The end discs need some bolts through to bond with the conc.

Boggs Super Oaf on B100

Location: Home Counties | Registered: January 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How is the catalyst neutralized?

Is free glycerol reduced to below the ASTM standard of 0.020% (w/w)?

Location: Illinois | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the outstanding features of the original GL1 design is its ability to continuously recirculate methanol vapors through the condenser. The efficiency of the condenser is not an important factor. If the methanol vapor does not condense on the first pass, then it is recirculated through the reactor and back to the condenser. This happens as many times as necessary to achieve desired methanol recovery.

The methanol vapors in the "Push-Pull" processor only pass through the condenser one time. Any vapors that do not condense during the single pass through the condenser are immediately vented direct into the atmosphere.

Therefore, I think you should consider placing a flow control valve on the outlet line of the processor just before its entry into the venturi.

The valve would probably be set to minimum flow rate at the beginning of the recovery period. The operator could then open the valve to its maximum flow as the amount of methanol remaining in the processor is reduced.

This will prevent flooding your condenser early in the recovery cycle.

What do you think?

Location: Illinois | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I would like to nominate Graham for The Guild of Biodiesel Tinkerers 2008 lifetime achievement award....

Smile

Nick

Free collection of waste cooking oil in the Nottingahm area http://wastevegoil.co.uk

Location: Nottingham UK | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Second!

2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Twenty4Seven:
I would like to nominate Graham for The Guild of Biodiesel Tinkerers 2008 lifetime achievement award....

Smile

Nick

Ya.. you aint kidding...

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA

posted Hide Post
OK where do you get 3/4" & 1" 3-way vlaves?

Proprietor of The Blunderbuss muzzle loading gun shop. Member of Denver Biodiesel CO-OP.

Location: lakewood, Co. | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn there goes the weekend going to have to re-plumb everything.

quote:
Originally posted by Murphy: In short, this place is like a multi-dimensional bull$hit detector on steroids

Location: In the Pacific Somewhere | Registered: January 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK where do you get 3/4" & 1" 3-way vlaves?

What do you mean? There's no 3 way valves in this reactor.

Location: Miami, Florida. | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
1-inch, 3-way valves can be obtained from McMaster-Carr:
Stainless Steel, p/n 4467K45 ($159.12)
Bronze, p/n 4373K55 ($33.83)
Brass, p/n 4093T25 ($57.56)

GL's plans don't call for them, but they would obviously be useful.

The cheapest ones replace two ball valves, some nipples and a Tee, totalling more than $34.

Consider that even the Stainless Steel ones cost about 40 gallons of fuel.

Cheers,
JohnO
Founding Member "Order of Fries"

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi RickDaTech
Temperature is around 105C

Hi J.B. Jagworth,
That's spooky! Didn't steal it, honest!

Hi Producer
The catalyst is neutralized according to this post.

If you used a condenser successfully with the recirculating system, it should work even better with this one, it seems. I believe the reason is that there is much greater saturation of vapour in this system, so the dewpoint is lowered much more than with the air recirculation system. This helps the vapour to condense more readily.

It is quite easy to control, keep the vac pump running all the time, and just control the flow by the amount of heat you put in. With 3kw heating and 3 foot long condenser I don't get much, if anything out of the vent.

I am putting in the same amount of heating power and have the same cooling circuit as before, but the jacket flow rate is a little higher, to keep the outlet cool.

JohnO's 3 way valve suggestion is great - I'll change my diagram to show a 3 way valve option.

Hope that helps

Graham

Bicycle on G100 12,000 miles p.a. ( http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/GrahamLaming )

posted Hide Post
Can you give more details on the vacuum pump? How much vacuum is it capable of generating? I am one of those guys that started out using a refrigerator compressor to vacuum dewater the oil and to distill the methanol from the finished BD. I've moved on to a pulley driven lab grade vacuum pump, better but not perfect. I was never able to get the venturi method to work because I cannot heat the mix up high enough with the capacity of my electrical system in my garage. Do you have a particular pump in mind for the vacuum?

I'd love to try dragging the methanol out before dropping out the glycerin, and eliminate the prewash.....

posted Hide Post
Hi Jon

My vacuum pump is made with a central heating circulator pump, which pushes the hot rapeseed oil thru the venturi. The pump is rated to 110C.
It only draws 100 watts.

The vacuum will be better with a high flow pump and a suitably matched venturi.

Something with 100 liters per minute flow rate would be ideal.

You really want to get as much vacuum as you can, so you can keep your temperatures as low as possible during the methanol recovery phase.

I'm adding detail to the webpage daily, so hope to have more useful info as time goes on.

Anyone have any specific questions, just ask and I'll try to add info for you as a priority.

All the best

Graham

posted Hide Post
Graham: I do have one question. I apologize if it's a dumb one...
Is there any reason why you chose to inject the methoxide through V6, instead of V5? I mean, it'd seem that the extra splashing of the oil/methoxide mixture would aid the reaction (at least in my completely uninformed view), like in the GL eco, and using V5 would save some plumbing...

posted Hide Post
Hi bernyjb

No, that's a good point. You could use either V5 or V6 at that stage, and yes, you may be right, there could be more agitation with V5.

I do run thru V5 during the reaction, so I'll take your point and modify the procedure, one less valve change to make.

The plumbing would stay the same, because we need to suck thru V6 during the de-mething cycle, because it is reverse flow at that time, so need a submerged inlet to the pump.

Thanks!

Graham

posted Hide Post
quote:
The plumbing would stay the same, because we need to suck thru V6 during the de-mething cycle, because it is reverse flow at that time, so need a submerged inlet to the pump.

Thanks!

No, Thank you for answering so promptly, and for the work you're doing!

About the demething cycle, you're right, I didn't think about that. But you could disconnect V3 from the V1/V4 union, and run the lower pipe directly from it into the reactor. We wouldn't save the plumbing, but at least it'd be one less valve to buy and operate...
Thank you again. I hope I'm not bothering you.

posted Hide Post
Hi bernyjb

Can you sketch a drawing of what you have in mind?

I can't quite picture it in my mind.

V3/V4 and V7/V8 work to allow the flow to be reversed.

Flow down = V3 and V7 open when V4 and V8 closed
Flow up = V3 and V7 closed when V4 and V8 open

Feel free to comment - I wouldn't be here if I didn't welcome comments! All part of the fun, and helps the ideas develop.

All the best

Graham