BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Equipment    How do You dry your Biodiesel?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do You dry your Biodiesel?
 Login/Join

2013 Sponsor
posted
When you simplify drying equipment there only seem to be a few methods things you can do.

1) Settling - Let it sit in a drum a few days with a screen cover.
2) Increasing Surface Area - Often spraying back into the drum or pumping onto the side of the tank.
3) Heating the biodiesel - Basically boiling out the biodiesel without mixing the biodiesel.
4) Heating the bio w/mixing - Mixing can be anything from bubbling, to spraying, to pumping etc.
5) Heating the air over the biodiesel -
6) Heating both the air and the bio -

What methods do you use? How long does it take to dry? What is your batch size? What is your average relative humidity? Have you tried any other drying methods?

Question:
What methods do you use to dry your biodiesel?

Choices:
Settle Only
Increase Surface area only
Heating Biodiesel
Heating Bio while mixing
Heating Air over Bio
Heating both Air and Bio
Other

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Rick
2 x60lts of bio in hdpe tanks-airstone bubbler in each with a fan blowing onto top surface-seems to dry ok in 24 hrs-humidity can vary widely-may have to add some heat as we head for colder weather

Location: UK | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I heat the bd, throw in a bubbler, and blow air DOWN onto the surface. Works really well for me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raften,

2001 Dodge 3500 CTD running B100

Self appointed Minister Of Propaganda, Order Of The Semi Sealed Steel Drum Reactor

Currently washing and drying with a "Death Trap" heater.

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Other:
Settling, bubbling air from the bottom, and a fan blowing air across the surface.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses so far!

One of the problems I've run into has been the effects of humidity on drying. A method that works in Los Angeles or Phoenix may not work nearly as well in Atlanta or Memphis. So I'm also looking to rank these methods, and any others you have as to how fast they dry.

Raften,

Bubbling both stirs the biodiesel and increases it's surface area. A good wave action on the surface can double the surface area. It's probably the cheapest way to provide both and one reason why bubbling alone has worked for some.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Other:

1. settling 24-48 hrs after washing
2. heat while circulating, spraying back into drying tank

The fuel looks clear in about 30 minutes, but I remove heat and continue to circulate for up to 2 hrs. I definitely do not even attempt to dry fuel if it's raining, or on 90% humidity days.

All the best,

"Talk is cheap because supply usually exceeds demand."

Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Heat Bio and use bubbler. Heat not needed, but even a little extra seriously speeds up the drying rate..

Water content tested with Sandy Brie test kit.

posted Hide Post
1000 litre batches, take heat up to +_ 65*c, exhaust fan on top of tank, spray heavily against side of tank while agitating the bio, walk away, dry in an hour, if it's cold and wet outside, we allow 1 1/2 hours.

Location: Cape Town | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

I'm deep into the third revision of an article on drying biodiesel. It should be done soon. Would anyone like to donate pictures of their biodiesel drying setup?

Thanks

posted Hide Post
Hi Rick
couple of pics if of any use to you

Imagebio_drying_003.jpg (41 Kb, 50 downloads)

posted Hide Post
And the other one

Imagebio_drying_002.jpg (46 Kb, 52 downloads)

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Thank you taralec!

It looks like your bubble drying under a fan. That's an odd tank. Do you know it's designed use?

Here is what I have so far:

http://www.make-biodiesel.org/dryingbio/

Thanks everyone for your participation!

Rick

posted Hide Post
Nice job Rick!
Thank you for not including a pic of Raftens "Death Trap" Big Grin
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is how I spray dry.

dry tank

Thats a 1/2" vinyl tubing with 1/8" holes every 4" supplied by a HF pump.
Here in Western NY, the humidity isn't too high, it will dry in less than an hour. A heating element is used in the tank also to boost the temp when neccessary.

Location: Western NY | Registered: September 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Rick
The tank is purpose made bio cone tank-but only MDPE not HDPE but seems ok-much better than the 2 smaller tanks I used to use,manufacturers link below.
Yes I bubble and fan blow-but going to add some heat now its getting colder.
All the best with your book

http://www.ecosure.co.uk/acata...ank__180litres_.html