BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Equipment    Stainless dairy tank as processor

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stainless dairy tank as processor
 Login/Join

posted
I came across 500 gallon stainless dairy tanks. Guy is asking $800 and they sell for around $10K. The only problem is that they have 2 big holes. I would assume that they could be welded up. They are basically the size of 500 gallon propane tanks.

Opinions?

Imagedairytank.jpg (46 Kb, 46 downloads) 500 Gallon Dairy Tank

Location: NPR, Florida | Registered: January 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not if you want to pull a vacuum in it.

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paulus:
Not if you want to pull a vacuum in it.

I have propane tanks to pull vacuum.

I was just thinking about a processor tank. Wouldn't have to worry about acid.

Just curious of opinions on using it?

Attached pic of inside tank.

Imagedairytank2.jpg (29 Kb, 27 downloads) Inside Tank

Location: NPR, Florida | Registered: January 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those are great looking tanks. I might take the risk and have them professionally patched and welded up, then see how well they do for vacuum.

If your not looking for vacuum rating, I don't see why the holes are an issue. Just patch and go!

GotDzel
Waynesboro, Virginia

gotdzel@gmail.com

Location: Waynesboro, VA | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
Milk tanks make poor processors... wrong shape.. wrong configuration.. wrong everything.

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA

posted Hide Post
How is it different from a propane tank...they are pretty close in dimensions?

Can you elaborate, so I understand why it is a bad choice over just you saying so.

Not that I don't believe you, just would like to understand. As I thought it would work fine.

posted Hide Post

Tilly tank, recently resurfaced.

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I mentioned in my original post I would get the holes welded close. Obviously the holes "as is" makes it not viable. Out side of that, the only other thing is the ends aren't as rounded and that I suspect may make it not drain quite as well. But people use water heaters and they aren't rounded at all.

Anyway, I just want to understand why Paul is so dead against it, because I would of though it would of been OK.

I never purchased it because every time I tried getting back in touch with the seller, I wasn't able to get hold of him.

posted Hide Post
Im not dead against it; my comment was that you wouldn't be able to pull a vacuum in it.

posted Hide Post
I meant Paul (Murphy).

"Milk tanks make poor processors... wrong shape.. wrong configuration.. wrong everything."

But yes, I wasn't planning on using it to pull vacuum.

I just thought it would be cool for an acid tank.

posted Hide Post
quote:
But people use water heaters and they aren't rounded at all.

Water heater tanks are rounded on the ends, nearly a perfect half-sphere, its only the insulation over the tank and the sheet metal over that that is flat.

And I think with a big enough pump or stirring paddle, any tank will work. Smile

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, you're right. I was thinking the other end and all the guys and gals who do them upside down. Smile

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post