BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Equipment    newbie questions- heater elements - PVC pipe

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

newbie questions- heater elements - PVC pipe
 Login/Join

posted
I'm building a really cheap reactor with steel drums. Plan mount a water heater element in the 2" bung- (drums inverted) The 110 volt lelments are 1500 watts- it would take like 4-5 hours to heat 30 gallons. Thinking 4500 watt, 220 VAC element wil probably draw 20 amps - that would be better.

I'm going for cheap becasue I am not sure what my oil collection will look like, I have about 100 gallons from a small canteen. (took 6 month) I don't want to approach any restaurants until I can commit to it and i don't want to commit to it until I know that making bd is practical for me.

So, will PVC hold up for a few batches?

thanks

Clueless and curios about bio diesel

2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave silva:
So, will PVC hold up for a few batches?

thanks

It might hold up.. but the consequences of a failure could be catastrophic so why take the chance?

Just use black iron pipe.. its not that expensive...

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA

posted Hide Post
Correct me if I'm wrong (really, i have very thick skin) PVC will hold up, it's the cement that will fail? SO threaded fittings and valves should be OK, right?

As for the consequences of failure- probably only inconvenient. The processor will be on a small trailer and towed to the far side of the property whenever it's loaded and operating.

But what about the heater element question? I'm thinking it take quite a long time to heat 40 gallons with only 1500 whats.

THanks

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave silva:
But what about the heater element question? I'm thinking it take quite a long time to heat 40 gallons with only 1500 whats.

That's going to come down primarily to your insulation. I used to heat ~30 gallons of oil at a time in an appleseed / water heater based reactor. It frequently reached processing temperature in under an hour, but that's largely due to very good insulation. I was using a 240v element at 120v, which means I had roughly the same heat going into the system.

I don't care where you are on your property -- a 40-gallon grease fire is more than an inconvenience. Add in the higher volatility of eight or ten gallons of methanol (plus caustic) that will be in play, and I personally wouldn't chance it on plastic fittings. As said above, black iron is cheap.

Cheers, John

posted Hide Post
Ok, never mind the PVC. I came across a 5 gal and 10 gal drink cooler, the big round type from which they dump Gatorade on the winning football coach. Perfect for making 10 gallon batches.

I put about 8 gallons of oil in it then heated 1.5 gallons on the stove in a pot with a locking lid. Heated it to around 275, poured it in, raised the overall temp to 145 and it stayed warm for several hours. I think that will work really well for small batches, I can get familiar with the chemistry and then upgrade the processor

Thanks for the info on the heater element.

posted Hide Post
Coolers work well, however be very careful what you use to stir the mixture, the methanol fumes from an open reactor are seriously toxic, and they're very flammable/explosive.

To make this "Igloo" reactor safe use a brush-less motor mounted on the lid; connected to a paint stirring drill attachment through a small hole in the lid.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The idea of standing over an open vat of methanol & lye is pretty unthinkable to me.

I was thinking I could mix it with a spare lift pump I have for my truck (Dodge/Cummins)

Might not be the most aggressive agitation but given that the mix will stay hot for a many hours, it should work pretty well, right?

Maybe mount it so it discharges along the side of the tank , creating a whirlpool, and then stick something in there to break it up for better agitation?

I heated the oil to 140 yesterday at 11:am and it is now (20 hours later) down to 104F (of course it's stupidly hot right now, like 85 deg overnight)

thanks

posted Hide Post
If your making batches that small you could likely just shake the thing, no pump needed.
I dont believe those lids seal though?
For my old 100L reactor I used to mix my NaOH and methanol in a 60L HDPE drum by just kicking/rolling it around the yard for about 1/2 an hour.
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post