BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Equipment    M67 immersion heater for dewatering WVO
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M67 immersion heater for dewatering WVO
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
The fuel consumption rate is pretty slow as far as I can tell. I fill the 1 gallon can up and after an hour of burning probably less than 1/4 of it is gone.

Yes, you can slow the heat output by turning down the fuel drain so that there is just a few drops of fuel hitting the burner plate.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Location: Utopia Planitia | Registered: February 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow real nice find there. Wish we had a surplus store like you have there the ones here only have over priced junk.

quote:
Originally posted by Murphy: In short, this place is like a multi-dimensional bull$hit detector on steroids

Location: In the Pacific Somewhere | Registered: January 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The store I bought the heater from does ship items. I think it's gr8gear.com. A local friend is going to buy one for his WVO filtering/settling system he uses down in Baja California. Before he was just using sunshine and a lot of time to settle out the crud in the oil prior to use.

Location: Utopia Planitia | Registered: February 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok I have one on the way to me. What kind of modifications did you make Spencnaz to the heater to run on biodiesel?

quote:
Originally posted by Murphy: In short, this place is like a multi-dimensional bull$hit detector on steroids

Location: In the Pacific Somewhere | Registered: January 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No mods needed. Follow the instructions to get the flow through the flue going. I use a blow torch on the fuel cup to get the biodiesel to light.

Then when the flow is established, I light some newspaper and put it down the intake tube to burn, then I drip biodiesel from the fuel petcock on the burning paper. Once the flame is established, the paper will burn away and the biodiesel will take over.

posted Hide Post
Update,

I have a bid on two of these heaters on an auction website. If anyone would like one, I can ship it to you and you can pay me back for my purchasing costs.

They're exactly the same heater as show in my youtube videos.

posted Hide Post
how much did you have to pay?

Location: Jonesborough, TN | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I let the auction go to another bidder as the price was above $200. You should be able to get one of these heaters for about 100 bucks.

posted Hide Post
The surplus store is/was selling them for $119 each with free shipping in the lower 48

posted Hide Post
I got mine for 90 bucks, of course I didn't worry about the shipping I just drove to the store and loaded up.

posted Hide Post
I got mine in the mail $150 delivered out in the middle of the pacific. Umm be careful using diesel I burnt the paint off of mine.

quote:

posted Hide Post
These heaters are designed to run on gasoline, so some paint is going to burn off regardless. I just scrubbed the damaged paint off and coated the exposed portions with some off spec biodiesel to fight off any rust that might take up residence.

posted Hide Post
I just purchased the M67 Immersion heater do any of you have any tricks to get it started on biodiesel? Mine has no instructions. I was hoping the guy who did the youtube videos would make one sitting up and getting the unit fired up.

Thanks

posted Hide Post
Hello,

Can you explain how to fire up the M67 immersion heater, I just got one and I don't have any instructions! I watched all your videos, thank you they were great. I was hoping you would do one seting up the M67 and getting it started. Thank you.

quote:
Originally posted by Spencnaz:
Ran the heater again tonight to great effect. Oil was up to around 230F in under one hour. I let the oil sit at this temp for another hour and will allow to cool over night before transfer to the biodiesel oil processing tank before transesterfication.

Raften, I have no need for starting on methanol. Methanol also burns with an almost invisible flame so having a methanol fire and not knowing it would be dangerous with this heater. Once the draft is established with a little burning paper, fuel is dropped onto the flames furthering combustion.

Gasoline was used in these heaters and if started improperly there can be a back fire through the intake flue with an accompanying large 'bang'. On biodiesel, the resistance to combustion is a safety feature in my view. That, and the fact that I use off spec biodiesel that didn't pass soap or 27/3 test makes it even more useful!

posted Hide Post
Hey

I did it once. And you can try it at your own risk also. Fill the cup with biodiesel and light it with a torch of your choosing. Put cup into the stack to start warming it up. Take some cardboard and saturate it with biodiesel or diesel and light it and drop it into the heater. Start dripping biodiesel on it and if you did everything correctly and are not burned to death it should be working once everything is nicely warmed up. Make sure you have the heater immersed in what you are trying to heat up before you start any of this.

So do so at your own risk.

quote:

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestion of making a setup video. I'll get on it asap. I use burning newspaper soaked in some biodiesel in the fire tube once a draft has been established to dribble fuel from the fuel can into the flames. Just let the paper burn down and once a flame is established, it will self sustain as long as there is enough fuel to burn.

posted Hide Post
Howdy. I'm an ex military cook, (probably the only ex GI you'll meet, on-line anyway, who wasn't a sniper and/or special forcesRoll Eyes) and have used these things many times. Be careful. They can be very dangerous, especially if using gasoline.

On that note, be advised that the following instructions are for operating with gasoline. I do not know what adjustments would be best for bio diesel.

The regulation way to start these units is to turn out the starter cup, (the round thing on the end of that lever in the middle of the unit) fill it with your fuel.

Next, ignite the fuel in the starter cup, gently swing it in place under the exhaust stack. This is to preheat the unit creating sufficient draft to cycle the burning fuel around the 'donut.'

It is heated sufficiently to start when the pipe above the second joint is just too hot to touch.

Again, swing out the starter cup positioning the side plate under the tank spout. Let the fuel start flowing . Be sure it ignites on the way down- you do NOT want liquid fuel accumulating in the burner ring!!!

Keep the fuel burning past the starter until the perforated plate on the bottom has heated enough to vaporize the fuel. Then release/return the starter cup to it's place and adjust the fuel stream to the consistency of a "dog tag chain."

I don't know the specific heat output of these units but, they will bring a 33 gallon GI can full of water to a full roiling boil in about 15-20 minutes and water boils at 212deg.F (except at high altitude).

I hope this information is of some use. Stay safe and keep your eyebrows. (I have seen more than a few burned off!)

posted Hide Post
The picture John posted appears to be the standard immersion heater that the M67 replaced, because the cotter pin and collar were both eliminated in the M67 design. The Standard immersion heater had problem with a weld coming undone because of the design of the exhaust, and used a lot of proprietary parts. The M67 was designed in 1967, the design was made to use a majority of already available parts, it was supposed to be 50% faster to set up than the previous immersion heater. If you have a standard immersion heater and not the M67 it still works in the same way just more complex and not as reliable.

posted Hide Post
Just joined are you still doing this any problems?

posted Hide Post
We use this heater to dry 160 gallons in about 4 hrs. by spraying 140-170 deg F oil into a 300 gallon tank.
Dean

Location: central Illinois | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post