BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Equipment    M67 immersion heater for dewatering WVO
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M67 immersion heater for dewatering WVO
 Login/Join

posted
I bought a M67 immersion heater at the local army surplus store for the intent of removing water from my WVO prior to biodiesel processing.

At first I was reticent about how well it work, but after a couple of run it works almost too well, heating the oil to over 275F in about 40 minutes! I ran the heater on biodiesel, kinda hard to start with out some help from some burning paper, but once the flame in the draft tube is going, it's a self regulating system with a simple petcock valve.

The whole setup

Fuel can and unit attached to 55 gallon drum with WVO in the drum.

A little incomplete combustion but fuel ratio was corrected later on for no smoke

Inside the intake to the combustion chamber

After about 15 minutes bubbles were forming in the oil

I actually got the oil too hot as it maxed out my temp gauge and destroyed my sump pump with hot oil when I tried to fill my reactor with the oil about 3 hours after I shut the heater off. Didnt' realize the amount of thermal inertia WVO has! Would be a great heat exchanger fluid if used properly! Next time I will let the oil cool over night before oil transfer prior to biodiesel processing

I bought this heater for about 90 bucks. Came in a wood crate with all the military instructions. They rate it at 35,000 BTUs on gasoline, it's probably a lot more running biodiesel. The Army used these to heat drums of water for field mess kitchens. It was rated to heat a 55 gallon drum of water to boiling in one hour.
This immersion heater will take one job off my reactor, that of dewatering the oil and contribute to a lower electric bill and longer heating element life. I'd say mission accomplished.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Location: Utopia Planitia | Registered: February 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the chimney joints are inverted then the gunk that will collect inside the flue pipe will run down the inside of the pipe instead of running out at the joints and down the outside of the pipe.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. That is so interesting and cool. Looks like a "must have" tool.

Location: Virginia | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
If the chimney joints are inverted then the gunk that will collect inside the flue pipe will run down the inside of the pipe instead of running out at the joints and down the outside of the pipe.

Thought about that John, however it isn't constructed that way. I haven't seen any sort of liquid residue come out of the joints yet, so it may be a non-issue.

Location: Utopia Planitia | Registered: February 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got to have one of those-brilliant-would it run on glyc by product?

Location: UK | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tara,

No, I don't think that it will. It was a little challenging to get the biodiesel to burn. Remember this unit was designed to run on gasoline with is a more volatile fuel. I established a small fire with lit scrap paper on the fuel splash plate once the draft was going up the smokestack.

posted Hide Post
M67 immersion heater

TECHNICAL REPORT
68-25-GP
DEVELOPMENT
OF THE
HEATER, IMMERSION, M-67, LIQUID FUEL
FIRED, FOR CORRUGATED CANS

The photos in the report are poor quality.

Once the splash plate is red hot it should be able to burn some glycerin, yes?

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't notice any color temperature on the burner plate. But I guess anything is possible right? Probably would be best to start and heat up the unit on biodiesel and then switch to glycerin?

Fuel consumption was pretty low, so I don't know if this would be a good way to get rid of glycerin unless you plan to use this heater for some other heating purpose.

Also, your diagram has about 50% more parts than mine has. My unit was shipped complete with instructions, and it doesn't have items such as the tank holding bracket, lighter/burner torch along with any fasteners as they aren't required to set up the unit. Maybe there are different versions of this heater? You know revisions as they were produced over the years. The manufacturing date on mine shows 1991.

I also have a copy of the link you posted and it more closely matches the heater than the picture that you posted, John but the general concept is the same.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Spencnaz,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Once the splash plate is red hot it should be able to burn some glycerin, yes?

Dunno about glycerin but it sure would make biodiesel ignite better. I am thinking along the lines of the gravity fed stoves for kerosene and how they use methanol in a cup to preheat the burner and then open up the fuel valve for ignition.Be an interesting way to use up some recoverd methanol eh?

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen heaters like this that sit in hot tubs but they are much bigger and you have to keep throwing in logs. Should be easy to get started using some methanol just like I start my oil burning stove. Principal of operation is different from that point, this is more like a Primus oil burning camp stove.

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ran the heater again tonight to great effect. Oil was up to around 230F in under one hour. I let the oil sit at this temp for another hour and will allow to cool over night before transfer to the biodiesel oil processing tank before transesterfication.

Raften, I have no need for starting on methanol. Methanol also burns with an almost invisible flame so having a methanol fire and not knowing it would be dangerous with this heater. Once the draft is established with a little burning paper, fuel is dropped onto the flames furthering combustion.

Gasoline was used in these heaters and if started improperly there can be a back fire through the intake flue with an accompanying large 'bang'. On biodiesel, the resistance to combustion is a safety feature in my view. That, and the fact that I use off spec biodiesel that didn't pass soap or 27/3 test makes it even more useful!

posted Hide Post
FYI,

I'm going to make a note to record a video of this heater in operation, as well as showing the assembly of the unit. I'll post the vid on youtube for you all to see.

posted Hide Post
I just posted a series of vids on youtube showing how the heater works. Here is the link to last vid of the series showing the heater out of the oil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYljtRZglPI

posted Hide Post
Good videos -

You've tested the VO with a HPT or similar test to confirm it's dry after running the heater?

posted Hide Post
I leave the heater running for about 2 hours to make sure. My oil sources are really good about keeping the oil as dry as possible. When vapor and bubbles stop forming in the tank, I turn everything off. Then the drum is sealed with a cover and allowed to cool before injection into the biodiesel reactor.

posted Hide Post
If the fryers were operating as hot as your heater gets the oil then why didn't all the water boil off then? Where do you suppose the water you're boiling off came from?

posted Hide Post
Probably from condensation during oil storage until I go pick it up. There was some food crumbs in there too and that contains water. The oil is also filtered prior to processing.

posted Hide Post
Enjoyed the clips. Thanks

Location: Virginia | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
No prob FF,

Glad I could share this really neat new biodiesel tool to the forum Smile.

2013 sponsor
posted Hide Post
Any feel for fuel consumption rate yet? Can you reduce the heat output by slowing the fuel feed rate? Neat looking heater!

2002 F-250, 7.3l on WVO since '04
'82 VW Rabbit diesel 1.6l na
'83 GMC 6.2l Class C RV
'85 F-350, 6.9l flat bed
'85 E-350, 6.9l cube van
2 Mercedes 300SD's
3 Chinese Changfa-style diesel generators- 12kw, 8kw & 7.5kw
Mitsubishi 3 cyl diesel generator/light tower
Kubota 2 cyl. diesel, water cooled air compressor
Onan 12.5kw air-cooled diesel genset
I run my company entirely on renewable energy including electricity from generators running on biofuels.

Location: El Dorado, Ark | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post