BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Equipment    How to build a centrifuge
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to build a centrifuge
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I'd thought I'd post a photo of my rotor even though its still in the making.

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

ImageCF_Rotor_1.JPG (44 Kb, 124 downloads) CF Rotor

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking good dkenny!

Nice to see the use of a standard Coors Light beer can for reference on size Big Grin

Location: Buckeye | Registered: July 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I met a doctor who also makes biodiesel when he has spare time. Anyway he told me I should always pre-medicate (with a few beers) prior to any biodiesel activities that could expose myself to methanol. I think we need to add that to our safety practices wonder if any of the major biodiesel producers have that provision in their work manuals. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by Murphy: In short, this place is like a multi-dimensional bull$hit detector on steroids

Location: In the Pacific Somewhere | Registered: January 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know about "pre-medicate"; that might negatively affect your judgment and lead to a bigger issue, but SURELY you should post-medicate every time!

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
its getting closer..

its now got 3 layers of resin on the outside..
now I need to turn the outside again, the inside and balance the unit..then turn the hole for mounting it to the lawn motor spindle..then testing??

I know its slow coming but its getting there..

at the moment I sure the wood will hold..I ran it around 4k RPM on the lathe unbalance...the rotor stayed together..no problems...now if I could find a used lathe?? turn on end..all doneSmile

after I get it balanced..I'll crank up the lathe to its max..this should be well over 6K..way more that I run the CF at..

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave
-a lathe on end! now that is creative thinking Big Grin You are making two of those aren't you, one for you and one for me Big Grin Big Grin Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Sorry Tom..just one for the moment..I want to make sure the wood will stay together..

if I was making it out of metal..I would try making several..

-dkenny

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dkenny:
if I was making it out of metal..I would try making several..

-dkenny

You trying to say something dkenny? Big Grin

Can't wait to see it in action, hope you get it done quickly!

Location: Buckeye | Registered: July 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ah..nopeWink ..but there might be a market for someone that can make rotors cheap out of metal?

got any for sale?

-dkenny

posted Hide Post
buckeyebiodiesel

I wanted a CF but just can't afford one and I did see the wood one on youtube but just wasn't for me , I am glad to see someone is building a homemade metal CF!!!! I was thinking about cast aluminum rotor and outer collection pan but your way looks easier if I stay to 10" so it fits my lathe.

Can you elaborate some more and maybe some detailed pictures if the center cone in the rotor bowl an exactly how it sits and rides on the motor shaft, for some reason I am just not comprehending how to make that center part that connect to the motor.

Location: SE Florida | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post