BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Equipment    compact 40L Biodiesel Processor

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

compact 40L Biodiesel Processor
 Login/Join

posted
Hi Guys,

well Ive scrapped SVO, and now realizing Biodiesel wasn't as hard as I initially thought! Ive made a couple of 1L SVO test batches and Siri's reading the Journeytoforever ebook to me while commuting to work. next is to try some WVO test batches.

But in the meantime I NEED to get started on a Processor! I have a 40l fuel tank so would like to make a 40l batch. the processor needs to be compact, simple single tank design, I also cant afford any spillage where I live. Id like to do the mixing and washing in the same tank. I will install an element/pump & watering system.

I was thinking a 50L stainless beer keg might do the trick? by the look of the attached picture the top (which would be the bottom) looks conical?
I could plumb a visitube to the side as part of the pumping system, although not sure if that's necessary.

is anyone able to suggest a system I can take a look at that might fit the bill?

its time to unleash my inner biodieseler!

ImageBeer_Keg.jpg (19 Kb, 24 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Years ago for reasons I don't recall, I heated concentrated NaOH in water in an aluminum pan, with what was some kind of chlorinated insecticide, solid. It reacted nicely especially at elevated temperature, until it ate through the aluminum pan. I'm not sure but aren't beer kegs made out of aluminum? I think the NaOH and KOH catalyst may corrode the inside of an aluminum beer keg. I might be wrong? Cheers!

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doh! forgot to mention the one I'm looking at is Stainless.

posted Hide Post
Think I will skip the 40L system as there's prob not much difference in expense between that and a larger volume system anyway.

Ok, it seems the more i read the more complicated it gets, specifically in regards to Electric water pumps. so for extra precautionary measures they have to be TEFC (IP55) Atex certified.

this pump fits the bill but probably costs over 1000USD, does anyone have a cheaper source?:
http://civilquip.co.nz/shop/Pu...rol+pump+50+lpm.html

also can anyone suggest an off the shelf immersion heater and thermostat sufficient to heat 30gallons?

(I have $2000 of SVO system parts gathering dust in the garage..)

CHeers

posted Hide Post
Some things to note with regard to small verse large processors.
If you double the size, for instance, you will not make double the quantity of biodiesel in the same time without increasing the volume pumped, the heating as well as all allied equipment.
If you water wash for instance the volume of water used will be greater as will the time taken to wash.
I believe there has to be an optimum size for us home brewers, what it is I really don't know, so be careful about deciding on what size to go for. Bigger in this case is not necessarily better. Jim.

Location: Cape Town | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe almost everyone of us use clear-water pump.
IP55 is great precaution, but you really don't need it.
The 50L beer keg is really nice. Beer keg is made of 304 Stainless steel.
If you could cut the bottom and weld two kegs one-over-other is will be really cool 100L reactor. You'll make ~70L batches.

My batches are 180l and I make bio once per two months. The same effort like a small batch, but more fuel at the end.

These are my thoughts about your system. It's better someone else to tell his opinion too.

° can be diplayed, by using Alt+248(NumPad)

Location: Bulgaria | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Our original processor was made from a 220Litre blue HDPE drum clamp on top with a cone, plastic welded to the bottom. This made batches of 180 Litres. We then went to 2 X drums welded together, which gave us about 380 litres, and our final processor was 1200 litres which made 800 - 900 litre batches. The time frame from start to finish was: No 1 could be done in 8 hours. no 2 just over 12 hours, and no 3 nearly 48 hours.
And for those out there who dislike HDPE, its as safe as the person using it makes it. If you're careless then things WILL go wrong no matter if it's HDPE or metal. (Note)IMO. Jim.

Location: Cape Town | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good idea Smile I have a blue 220L HDPE drum, I have remolded it once before with a propane torch for pipe fittings, I think I might buy a heat gun, put the drum on a stand and place a heavy cylindrical 3" diameter shaft in the middle of it as a weight then heat up the bottom until it forms a cone, hmm not sure how well that'd work as it'd have to be a uniform heat, maybe I could use a single gas cooker and let it gradually heat to over 120 degrees C.

(no inductor tanks available in New Zealand and most don't ship from U.S to NZ unfortunately, and stainless tanks are mundo expensive)

posted Hide Post
stand and tank seem pretty sturdy but Ill have to stress test it, maybe run hot water through it at 70 degree C for a while, in combination with some round house kicks Wink

https://onedrive.live.com/redi...UeE&ithint=folder%2c

took a long time to get to this point, not having the time to do it was 90% of the issue..