BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Equipment    SVO/WVO kits

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SVO/WVO kits
 Login/Join

posted
I'm about to order an SVO/WVO kit.

I was just wondering if anyone could give their personal reviews on their direct experiences with any/all of the kits available out there.

Thanks in advance!

posted Hide Post
Mike,
I've purchased the GreaseCar and Frybrid kits in the past nine yrs. of converting three of my personal cars with diesel engines. I also have helped in many conversions on MB, VW, Dodge, Fords and Perkins engines. Which kit installs easier/ to install and/or effective, depends on your mechanical skill. I also have gathered off the shelf parts that the kit manufacturers use in their kits. Solenoids, flat plate heat exchangers (FPHE), heated veggie fuel filters, aluminum tubing for the hose-in-hose (HIH), MB aux water pump, heater hose, hose clamps, and fuel hose, VO fuel tank and gauges (fuel gauge sender, water temp). Don't know if you have looked at the Frybrid VO installation layout of parts on the Frybrid Forum. It's worth a long look. I have compiled a list of parts for members of the Greater San Diego Greasers that I can e-mail to you. Depending on the price and what is in the kit, I'd give it a lot of consideration before ordering a kit from the several on the market. (rene22@cox.net) reverence WVO Components

posted Hide Post
Has anyone ever heard of Green Eye Autos out of Oregon?

posted Hide Post
Not exactly the right side of the forum for this, but ...

In producing biodiesel one of the goals is to get rid of the FFA's, or the acid value of the oil, because this can be harmful to the engine. Why would not using straight vegie oil which contains ALL of it's acid value not do the same?

I mean I've done it, ran my first MB for 1000's of KM's on vegie. I am now convinced however that that shortened the life of the car as the engine blew. Didn't happen straight away, but some time after I'd gone back to biodiesel. Do you know how hard it is to blow a cast iron MB engine? I mean a home in the side of the block blew.

Do yourself a solid and produce top quality biodiesel, it will serve you better in the long run.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Legal Eaqgle:
Did you find out the cause of the engine failure? If so, I'd like to get you analysis. It's kinda difficult to place blame on a type of fuel until the cause of the failure has been established and be specific. Will be interested to read your response.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Legal Eagle:
I mean I've done it, ran my first MB for 1000's of KM's on vegie. I am now convinced however that that shortened the life of the car as the engine blew. Didn't happen straight away, but some time after I'd gone back to biodiesel. Do you know how hard it is to blow a cast iron MB engine? I mean a home in the side of the block blew.

And I suppose this was a low mileage engine not one that was long in the tooth and already getting near the end of it's typical life?
I'm sure there could be no other reason for the engine letting go that using WVO right?? Roll Eyes
And I suppose by the same rationale, no engine has ever failed on Dino or Bio??

I have had mercs and they are not nearly the indestructable, wonderfult things they are made out and the only time they come near lasting the fabled million KM/ Miles is when used as taxis. I know plenty of local petrol powered GM-Holdens and Fords that have been doing that for more than 30 years. They don't last near as long in regular service either.

To espouse that the WVO caused an engine to blow really is a baseless and illogical statement which would have a lot more to do is pushing ones own position than and basis in fact or reason.

If you were running Nitro, that would be one thing, WVO.... Come on! Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
Damn, lighten up. It is my experience, and that's it. I have 2 other MB's that have higher mileage than the first one and neither of them ran veggie and I have had no significant problems with either on B100.

All I am saying is that where ASTM is concerned acid is a factor, and if one of the reasons we titrate at all is to determine the acid factor (FFA's) in the oil so we can use enough catalyst to neutralize it and remove it in the glyc layer.

Where no such neutralization is done then it is only reasonable to say that the acid value that was there is still there, and no amount of filtering is going to change that.

If therefore acid is a factor for engine longevity, as ASTM specs stipulate it is, then it is only reasonable to say that leaving it in the fuel will work against that end.

It is merely a deduction based upon available date, an educated guess if you will. Don't have to believe it, don't have to accept it; do your own test on your own car and see if you get the same results I did after a couple years worth - hole in the block. If not, well good for you.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So IYHO, the acid content of veg oil led to your experience of causing an engine to blow?

Do you have any hypothesis on what physical factors took place to cause that to happen?