BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Equipment    Methoxide compatibility with steel tank?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Methoxide compatibility with steel tank?
 Login/Join

posted
Is it considered acceptable to use a steel tank as a container for the methoxide mixture? I am thinking of using an air compressor tank as a vessel for methoxide delivery for a reactor I'm working on. I know the methanol is OK in a steel container, but how about when it is mixed with the KOH lye?

SteveM

posted Hide Post
KOH is listed as a class 8 corrosive. It will eventually eat through a steel tank. Stainless steel is ok though.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jet
-depends on how much time the corrosive mixture is sitting in the tank. my steel methoxid tank (converted propane tank) is almost 6 years old and no signs of any corrosion. I make new methoxid for each batch, and process over 7000 ltrs a year, 160 ltr at a time. Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steel stands up to alkalies, but not to acids. It's OK. Smile

Blessings. Joe 1999 Chevy Suburban w/new optimizer 6500 TD and 1995 Chevy Cube van 6.5L. WWW.RillaBioFuels.com
WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

Location: Sterling Hts. Michigan USA | Registered: October 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post