BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Equipment    BD burning in Kero Stove

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
BD burning in Kero Stove
 Login/Join

posted
Just thought I'd pass this on. Today I fired up my new $12 kerosene stove on 100% biodiesel. The stove, though pretty cheaply made, actually runs the supply lines through the burner in order to heat the fuel so it vaporizes when it sprays out the single orifice. So you start it by filling a small tray beneath the burner with Isopropyl alcohol. You light this and let it burn for a minute or so to get all the supply lines hot to vaporize the fuel. No odor, no smoke, no black crud left on your pan. Just thought it was pretty cool and had to tell somebody.

Mike

ImageBD-Stove.jpg (30 Kb, 131 downloads) BD Stove

Location: Philippines | Registered: August 29, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
My scout troop would love a couple of these. The big question is how can we get two or three for 12.00 dollars each.

duhhh Philippines; missed that part.

To bad we can't get them in the US.

Location: Central Texas | Registered: May 12, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Reggie,
Sorry I don't know for sure where you would find these on that side of the planet. I'm originally from Ohio and have an Amish background. I know the one place for buying kerosene kitchen appliances (refigerators, freezers, and stoves) is Lehman's Hardware in Kidron, OH. I looked online and the stove they show appears to be a wick type. I don't think BD does well on a wick.

Where you from? I have a group headed back to CA and IL at the end of Oct. They might be able to slip a few stoves in their luggage if you don't find anything.

Thanks for your interest,
Mike

posted Hide Post
It looks pretty straight forward.
A tank with a ventable cap.
A pressure pump on the side to pressurize the tank.
A stand.
A control valve to control flow to the burner.
A burner.
The burner is the hard part...

Anyone know where to get a burner like that?

-Jim

www dot FryerPower dot com
1987 300DT (The sedan, not the wagon.) Some modifications to the fuel system.
1995 S350D Unmodified fuel system.
I plead the 5th.

Location: Middle Tennessee, Jack Daniel's country | Registered: August 10, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, I found a lot of stuff in the camp stove sized burners! The tanks look a little small, but they will work! (I'm sure they are not $12...)
I closed what I found on Yahoo!, but all I searched on was camp stove kero.

-Jim

I plead the 5th.

Location: Middle Tennessee, Jack Daniel's country | Registered: August 10, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Jim,
Your right. I searched for "kerosene stoves" and came up with very little. But adding the word "camp" makes all the difference. Some, MSR Dragonfly Backpacking stove for one, say it'll burn white gas/kerosene/diesel/auto gas. Nice and portable too. But till you buy the fuel bottle your looking at $120! When I was in the US I used to buy Rabbit Diesels for that.

Jim - I'll try to send you a better picture of that burner. You might be able to make one. The pump is eliminated in some models by making a remote fuel tank that can be elevated about 4 or 5 feet above the stove to create the pressure.
-Mike

posted Hide Post
Mike,
Any chance that you would be able to ship a box of burners and control valves over from the PI? Everything else can be fabricated here. Elevating the tank just makes it that much easier.
-Jim

I plead the 5th.

posted Hide Post
Jim,
The stoves are made here but I almost wonder if some of the components like the burner and control valve are out of China. I'll try to look into it and see what I can find.

Here is close-up picture of the burner. The supply line is split into two lines which go up to the top of the burner (just under where a pot would sit). They come back togeather there and there is sort of a four way intersection. The fuel then goes down the other two lines which come back together. A small orfice sits right in the middle of the U where these two lines meet. Well ... just look at the picture.
-Mike

ImageBD-Stove-burner.jpg (32 Kb, 89 downloads) BD stove burner

posted Hide Post
That is so that the fuel passes in or near a flame to help it vaporize easier. All of the camp stoves did that. I bet the manufacturer did just what you said. They got a bunch of the burners (campstove burners) from China and locally fabricated the rest.

-Jim

I plead the 5th.

posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm missing something but it just looks like a standard primus camping stove in a vaguly army design. Second hand primus stoves are fairly common and cheap in the UK.

I would have thought it easy to get hold of one or more and adapt it/them as you wish.

mathematical elegance -- desired result achieved with minimal complication

Location: Manchester UK | Registered: June 03, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope, you're not missing anything. It is just that they are $12 in the PI and a good bit more than that here. I would love to get a box of the burners and control knobs. The rest can be fabricated here.
-Jim
(But I will take your suggestion and look for a used one here.)

posted Hide Post
We have what we call flea markets. Second hand tat basicly. Usually in poorer areas. Fantastic places to buy stuff. A primus would generally go for around a fiver at one. Thats £5 UK quids.

I think thats about ten or twelve US dollars or a similar amount in Euros. Now they have come up I prolly won't see one for a year... but normally.

mathematical elegance -- desired result achieved with minimal complication

Location: Manchester UK | Registered: June 03, 2003Report This Post

posted Hide Post
To test the suitability of your fuel in one of these stoves, heat a sample of oil in a closed, but vented, container until it decomposes and gives off vapours, continue heating until the vapours stop coming from the container.
Place the container in a CO2 environment to cool down without oxidising any residues.
When cool, open the container to determine what residues are in the container. Any residue will accumulate in the heated pipes in which the fuel vaporises and will eventually render the stove useless.

Repeat the test for biodiesel and veg oil as a comparison.

Location: Perth W.Australia | Registered: August 10, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post

Location: Phishland | Registered: March 05, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Canola,
The stove you linked from eBay is a whole different style. That kind uses a wick. My understanding is that biodiesel does not do well traveling up a wick. I guess I should try it and prove it for myself. By the way, here in the PI those types of stoves are not as well made as the burner-orifice style and they usually cost about half as much. The one in the picture looks a little bit nicer than the ones I have seen at hardwares in my area.

Sorry, still no leads on finding those burners. Yellow pages just aren't quite the same here.
Mike

posted Hide Post
Check this one out:
http://www.stpaulmercantile.com/buttrfly.htm

Its at the very bottom of the page. I think it is just what Manila Mike was talking about. It says 8000 BTU, I guess they mean 8000 btu/hr. That translates to about 2300 Watts. My calculations say it would take about 45 minutes to heat 20 gal of WVO from 75F to 120F.

Location: Boonsboro, MD, USA | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
gbirky,
That's it! The "Brass Pressure Stove #2412" looks like the same model as one that is sold here except the BPS #2412 looks much better made. The one here has a plastic knob on the pump and other parts that just don't look as nice. The description they give of it on there website is quite helpful and sounds accurate with what I have experienced. Looks great. Maybe you could call them and work out a discount for people from this forum??

Your comments about using it to heat your WVO are interesting. Do you currently heat with flame heat or electricity? I've seen some pictures of processors that used some type of gas burner. Is that dangerous? If not, I'd like to try to incorporate something like that into my processor. Thanks.
-Mike

posted Hide Post
Well...I actually haven't ever made biodiesel myself. I attended a local workshop a few weeks ago where we made a 50 gallon batch in a homemade version of the "fuel meister". This setup was built on a trailer for portability, and used a steel 55 gal drum to heat the oil. Under the drum was a propane (gas grill) burner to heat the oil. It didn't seem to be dangerous, and worked quite well. Of course you want to make sure that there is not flame around the methanol and reaction.

The neat thing is that you could use biodiesel from a previous batch to heat your WVO, and only require a bit of electricity for pumping and agitation during the reaction phase.

Location: Boonsboro, MD, USA | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post

posted Hide Post
I have been using a "roar" kerosene stove for years. It uses the same burner type as the one made in PI. It is solid brass and has instructions engraved on the tank in about ten languages. It is smelly and hard to start but always works well and boils water quick. I am thinking of using it to heat a preheat tank.

2001 Dodge 3500 CTD running B100

Self appointed Minister Of Propaganda, Order Of The Semi Sealed Steel Drum Reactor

Currently washing and drying with a "Death Trap" heater.

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Report This Post