BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Equipment    NPT/NPS problem for no siphon heater

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NPT/NPS problem for no siphon heater
 Login/Join

posted
I have bought the parts listed to build Tim Palmer's version of the non-siphoning heater made by Graham Laming (http://www.graham-laming.com/bd/heater_no_siphon/index.html)
My problem is that heating elements have 1 inch NPS male threads and the pictures of Tim's version show the heating element screwed down into the 1 inch NPT threads of the bushing.
Does that mean he somehow forced the straight male threads all the way into the tapered threads of the bushing so as to get the heating element's sealing washer tight?
Or do I need to get a 1 inch NPS tap to try to un-taper the bushings's tapered threads?
Ron on Nantucket

Location: nantucket MA USA | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You can get away with wrapping several turns of nylon pipe tape around the thread and then screwing it down tight. It may leak a little after a bit but it will work.

HTH

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks LegalEagle! I'll try using the tape as you suggest. I do still wonder how Tim was able to screw his heating element all the way down though...

Location: nantucket MA USA | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post