BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Equipment    Fitting for 55 gallon processor
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Fitting for 55 gallon processor
 Login/Join

posted
Hey everyone,
Here is an idea I had and threw it together in about an hour. I took a normal 2 inch bung fitting and welded these pipes to it. 3/4 inch pipe for suction and 1/2 inch pipe for discharge. Actually the inside diameter is larger because I drilled out both pipe nipples to a larger size. Basically just to get rid of the galvanized coating in them. This simple little fitting will turn any drum into a processor. The larger pipe goes down to the bottom of the drum and the shorter one with the director nozzle will cause a swirling motion in the drum. Just screw it into the top of the drum (make sure the flow director points to the side), attatch your favorite pump to the fittings on top, and viola! a sealed processor. Assuming you have a port on the suction side of the pump to draw in the methoxide as I do. You could move it from drum to drum and process hundreds of gallons a day. Of course after the glycerin wash you would want to pump it to a settling/wash tank. Or not. If your glycerine doesn't harden (it usually stays liquid with the 5% water) you could leave it to settle in the drum, then carefully transfer it to a wash tank. This would work in plastic drums as well. I hope to try it out on a plastic drum in the next couple of weeks. 45 gallons of oil and 9 gallons of MeOH will fit nicely in a drum. Waddaya think? Smile

Blessings. Joe 1999 Chevy Suburban w/new optimizer 6500 TD and 1995 Chevy Cube van 6.5L. WWW.RillaBioFuels.com
WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

Imagedualport.jpg (53 Kb, 237 downloads) processor fitting

Location: Sterling Hts. Michigan USA | Registered: October 18, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice idea in theory Joe!

But then how do you heat up all those 55 US gallon drums as you "move from drum to drum" and what insulation do you use as heating up a drum is one thing and then keeping it hot is another?

posted Hide Post
Ok, I didn't want to get into that 'cuz some people will think I'm nuts. I said earlier that I was going to try it out in a plastic drum, thats because I have a heat spear that fits through the 2 inch bung on a barrel. It is a 3500 watt 240 volt element that is at 90 degrees to the 1/2 pipe that the cord runs through. I put the element in the drum, then turn the pipe upright so the element is parallel to the bottom of the drum. I can raise or lower it to any height from the bottom that I like. I can also run it on 120 or 240. It heats up 45 gallons of oil pretty quick. Drill a hole in the coarse thread plug for a tight fit on the 1/2 inch pipe, and it's still a fairly well sealed processor. Capisce? Smile

Then, of course, there are those brave souls who buid a fire underneath a metal drum.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Joe_M,

Blessings. Joe 1999 Chevy Suburban w/new optimizer 6500 TD and 1995 Chevy Cube van 6.5L. WWW.RillaBioFuels.com
WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

Location: Sterling Hts. Michigan USA | Registered: October 18, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
If a person had a second bung on the drum , it would be easy to add a heating coil on the second bung, and use hot water to keep a whole series of drums hot.

Eric K

Location: Saginaw, MI, USA | Registered: January 30, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Eric,
Precisely, that is why I want to use a plastic drum, they have 2 two inch bungs. The metal ones have one 2 inch and one 3/4 inch. Smile

WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

posted Hide Post
Joe, help me out here a little in the understanding department. Why is it so important that plastic drums have 2 - 2" bungs? If you've got a welder to weld up that fitting thing, then you can put all the 2" (or whatever other size you wish) bungs on the steel drum you want. Now if you are trying to develope something that you could make to help other people who don't have a welder, it makes more sense.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MechCTD:
Joe, help me out here a little in the understanding department. Why is it so important that plastic drums have 2 - 2" bungs? If you've got a welder to weld up that fitting thing, then you can put all the 2" (or whatever other size you wish) bungs on the steel drum you want. Now if you are trying to develope something that you could make to help other people who don't have a welder, it makes more sense.

Becuase my heater spear will fit through a 2 inch bung. I can put the spear in one and the suction/discharge thing in the other. I know I could just swap them in a metal drum, but I like the idea of being able to add heat during the reaction if it should cool off too much.
And yes I thought of this as an easy and cheap/fast way to make a processor of larger capacity without having to do a lot of welding on a drum. My propane tank processor has all kinds of fittings that I welded on it and has worked very well for me these past three years. Easier to weld to the thicker steel as well. But it is only a 100 pound propane tank so it makes only 25 gallons at a time. I found a nice used, upright air tank that I want to use for my next processor. 30 inches in diameter and 6 1/2 ft tall. Fittings all over it and 220 gallon capacity!
I hadn't thought about providing this fitting for other people who don't have the ability to weld, but if there are some out there who want one, I suppose I could weld up a few more.
So, basically, I'm just playing around 'cuz I like to tinker. Smile

WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

posted Hide Post
Quite an inovative stroke of genius if you ask me. Be interested to see how it works out even though I'm fortunate enough to have plenty of S/S tanks for my own use.

Easy enough to insulate the tanks well. You could use electric cooker type elements under the drum if you are not brave/single/childless enough to build fires under them. Solve your bung problem.

If thinking of something easy for anyone to copy then why assume everyone can get a heat spear like yours? Cooker elements can be had as spare parts or salvaged from trashed domestics.
Should be able to get three or maybe four boiling rings under a drum.

You would either need a set for each drum or have some way to safely tilt a full drum of cold/hot oil suficiently to get the heater under and out. Bit dodgy for a single person.

If it could be done then the second drum could be heating while the first was pumping. Then swap the heater to the third drum and the pump to the second and so on...

At some stage you would have to stop doing new drums and start pumping out the seperated glycerine and product from the finished batches.

I would use a second fitting that simply pumps out through a pipe right at the bottom of the drum. The glycerine would come out first and be pumped straight into a couple of clear five gallon plastic drums. Then a bit of boundary layer into a seperate drum for extra settling. This drum would take other boundary layers from subsequent drums. You would have several boundary layer drums if needed. Then nice clear bio into nine five gallon drums.

You can then wash or not as you wish. In any case it is fairly easy to handle and transfer once it's all in five gallon drums.

Just a thought.

mathematical elegance -- desired result achieved with minimal complication

Location: Manchester UK | Registered: June 03, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
You know, I don't think Joe got the props he deserved for this idea. It really is clever (assuming you have access to a welder or someone who'll weld this dohickey for you).

Joe, I'd like to know more about the design of this heating spear. Photo would be dandy.

If a person could simply screw in the double-tubed suction/flow thing in one 2" bung and then screw in a heating spear into the other 2" bung (assuming the plastic barrel), well, lookout buddy.

Immediately after processing you could pump it out into a wash/settling tank. A T-fitting and two valves at the pump would allow you to redirect the fuel to a wash/settling tank.

And, as an added bonus, if you adjusted the length of the long suction tube by removing some sections of pipe nipple, you could use Joe's little two-tubed dealie as an all-in-one standpipe/drain attachment for a barrel.

Genius.

Eric

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Kudos Eric. Sure, here are some pictures of the heater spear.

WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

ImageSPEARone.jpg (76 Kb, 155 downloads) spear

posted Hide Post
Here is another

WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

ImageSPEARtwo.jpg (73 Kb, 132 downloads)

posted Hide Post
And a close up, a little blurry, but oh well.
When did the forum go back to needing moderation of pics? And who is doing the approval? What's up Shaun?

WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

ImageSPEARthree.jpg (39 Kb, 97 downloads)

posted Hide Post
"When did the forum go back to needing moderation of pics?"

Probably after the umpteenth time someone posted a huge picture that made it virtually impossible for most of us to read the thread.

Too bad this board software doesn't deal with this in a more elegant manner

ReM

B100--
2004 Motorhome CatC7
1987 Mercedes 190D 2.5 Turbo(possibly for sale)
1983 VW Pick-up (Caddy) 1.6 Turbo
Southern Oregon

posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's probably why now we have to download the pictures separately- it doesn't mess up the viewing of the typed page. But I still liked seeing the picture when the page is opened. I don't like the wait for the moderation of pictures either. Course I remember when we couldn't post pictures on this forum at all. Frown

WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

posted Hide Post
Eric,
Since it is taking so long for moderation of these pictures, I can email them directly to you if you want. Let me know. Smile
I really don't like this new forum setup. Frown

WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

posted Hide Post
Hey! The pictures are finally moderated! One thing that's kinda cool, is that you can see how many times the pictures were downloaded (2 so far). Eric, Have you looked at them yet? Smile

WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

posted Hide Post
That looks buildable -- even by me. I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the pics, Joe.

Cheers,
Eric

posted Hide Post
Joe,
I like your design. When I saw the pictures of the heating element, it looked like you could just feed that 1/2 pipe with the cord in it up through a 3/4 inch bung from the inside if you had a removable head drum. Do the removable head drums seal tight enough to make a closed processor? do they also have 1-2 inch and 1-3/4 inch bung holes?

I had always thought I would be crazy enough to heat the biodiesel with a turkey frier burner. but now that I am going to be a homeowner, I really don't want to burn down the house. Maybe I could aford four electric hotplates or wire up an electric water heater element. Plus, I don't want to ruin my turkey frier. I bought it on an after thanksgiving sale and haven't even fried a bird in it yet.

-Steve

Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: September 10, 2004Report This Post

posted Hide Post
Joe! thanks, this is exactally the solution I was looking for. I have a 150 gallon tank with two 2" bungholes, I wanted to be able to put my element on the bottom without welding. great idea.

Location: Austin | Registered: February 25, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Steve,
The removable top drums have the same size bungs as a sealed top one (2 inch and 3/4 inch). They seal tight initially, but the gasket that's in the top doesn't last long, even when not in contact with BD. Be careful with that turkey frier, a lot of people have burned their house down with one of those!

Bathsheba, You're welcome.
Smile

WWW.RillaBioFuels.com