BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Equipment    Those using the centerfuge...

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Those using the centerfuge...
 Login/Join

posted
Two questions for those using a 'Fuge:

1) Can it filter out soap suspended in the BD that was not water-washed but rather settled for some time?

2) Could a 'fuge filter out used motor oil?! I always wonder about capabilities of a 'fuge and how small of a particle it can handle...

Curious...

Thanks,
James

The apprentice BD-maker, Denver CO

Vehicles: 2002 Dodge RAM with Cummins Turbo-diesel; 1985 MB 300D Turbo; 2006 Honda Pilot LX

posted Hide Post
If the methanol is not present the fuge will spin out soap. It is definitely good for separating outsolids in motor oil.

If the methanol is present, I doubt it will spin out soap in suspension.

Location: Chambodia | Registered: December 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have to use a hefty pump to power the 'fuge or can HF 1/2 hp pump be used - does anyone know?!

The apprentice BD-maker, Denver CO

Vehicles: 2002 Dodge RAM with Cummins Turbo-diesel; 1985 MB 300D Turbo; 2006 Honda Pilot LX

posted Hide Post
You need a pump that can build pressure for a canister type 'fuge and you can just gravity feed for a open type. A gear pump works well for pressure.

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in the process of building a fuge using a small block chevy gear pump and a 1/2 HP electric motor with a spinner ii 60gpm fuge. I have all the parts, I just can't seem to get it done. There is a good writeup on the SVO side of the forum about fuges. Sunwizard is the author. I warn you -- it is an extremely long thread. Big Grin

Location: Chambodia | Registered: December 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RAMSKI,

The sizing of the motor and pump will depend on the flow rate of the fuge. A 60GPM fuge will be fine with a 1/2 horse carbonator motor if the pump output is properly sized too.

The best info I have found is on centrifugefordummies which is an informational project by www.pabiodieselsupply.com. Awesome videos on the link site.

PABiodieselSupply has the best deals on the equipment hands down. Their fuges are made private label by the same companies as spinner, Dieselcraft, and another.

The ability to remove soaps depends on whether the methanol has been removed, the temperature of the biodiesel (needs to be cool), and the flow rate. FABRICATOR has found that it takes 45-55 passes to remove enough of the soaps. If you have small fuge, that will take FOREVER!!

Location: Little Elm, TX | Registered: December 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I suggest those that believe that Pabiodiesel sells the same quality as other units at cheap prices advance with caution. Statements as to sources may not be correct.

posted Hide Post
Personally have found PABIODIESEL to be a pleasure to deal with. I own two of their 60gpm Chinese made knockoffs and I'll tell you they work a treat. For pennies. One has 2,000 gallons through it and working strong still. The fit and finish may not be as nice as a Spinner or Dieselcraft, but they work fine.

I believe Han Solo said it best:

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid.

It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs. I've outrun Imperial starships. Not the local bulk cruisers mind you, I'm talking about the big Corellian ships now. "

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Dieselcraft:
I suggest those that believe that Pabiodiesel sells the same quality as other units at cheap prices advance with caution. Statements as to sources may not be correct.

Posts like yours wreak of defensiveness and weakness. If I were you, I'd be trying something different to compete with other than lukewarm comments.

Location: Little Elm, TX | Registered: December 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMSKI:
Two questions for those using a 'Fuge:

1) Can it filter out soap suspended in the BD that was not water-washed but rather settled for some time?

2) Could a 'fuge filter out used motor oil?! I always wonder about capabilities of a 'fuge and how small of a particle it can handle...

If you think of a 'fuge as settling on steroids, it will give you a good idea of it's capabilities. If it will settle out, it will 'fuge out.

It will clean all the crapola out of motor oil, it will not replace the additives that are often burned out of the motor oil with use.

I have had business dealings with PABiodiesel. He ships in a timely manner and, the guy is doing his best to offer his products as a very low price. It's been a goal of mine from the beginning. Any issues I have with him or his products are not worth bringing up here.

That said, I still like the American made high quality DieselCraft centrifuge the best so far. I've been happy selling them because of the unmatched customer support offered by DieselCraft. The 5 year warranty on the DieselCraft specifically allows WVO and Biodiesel. I feel confident that DeiselCraft will still be around and supporting the biodiesel community 5 years from now. I feel the warranty, the companies stability, the excellent customer service, the high quality, and the fact that they are made in the USA make Dieselcraft well worth the price.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In response to Rick from B100 Supply's post -- the only business we did for B100 is we drop shipped Briskheat drum band heaters.....there were no other products bought from our company by B100. We've only ever heard from Rick maybe once to check on an item being shipped.

As far as our competition's centrifuge, it is imported from the exact same company that our centrifuge is. This information comes straight from the manufacturer and can also be verified through an on-line manifest supplier. As far as comparing our products with theirs - you are comparing apples to apples. Realize this - since we have been in business, centrifuge prices have dropped by one third. There was little competition in the centrifuge market till now. Our customers may be happy, but others may not.

In response to Eric aka Mankypro - we appreciate you sticking up for us! Our centrifuges do not come from China. I am not fond of China or Walmart. We deal with three different manufacturers and while the first order we received that you purchased from didn't have the nicest finish, that has been taken care of. The companies we order from have been in business for years.

Hope this clears things up -- visit us at www.pabiodieselsupply.com.
www.centrifugefordummies.com

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
quote:
As far as our competition's centrifuge, it is imported from the exact same company that our centrifuge is.

Hi Joe,

Not sure which competitor your speaking of. Is it the aluminum shafted spinner? Dieselcraft purchased the US rights to manufacture the Dieselcraft centrifuge. They have the parts made at various plants and assemble them in California.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
ok..
I looked at PAbiodiesel videos..atleast those that were available without login.

some questions..
what volume of solids before the unit stops working? how does one know when its full? its not that I don't think the unit will work..but does the oil require prefiltering? I've taking oil from dumpsters that had a 12 pack of empty beer containers??yes I was getting the oil legally..but the shear volume of trash in the oil..I think it would give this unit problems..they don't mention pre filtering before the unit? I suspect some must happen..but to what level?

please understand I'm not critical of their unit. most if not all of my concerns apply to all CFs, including the one I'm making..

even with all my concerns. I sure CF's are the best way to clean and dewater oil..

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefilter to 100 microns - but in the past I've just run filthy oil - before I knew better - it simply takes longer to clean. After you get used to the unit you will be able to hear the difference between a full rotor and one that's OK. For the most part the crud will kill your pump before anything. You'd be silly to run anything less than 100 micron filtered oil through an expensive pump like a carbonator.