BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Equipment    brushless drill safety

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

brushless drill safety
 Login/Join

posted
anyone have any thoughts on the use of a brushless drill to mix methoxide? they don't spark and are completely enclosed, so should reduce the risk of fire. more risky than a circulating pump since you would still be standing over the mixing vessel. would still mix outdoors to reduce other risks.

Location: PEI, Canada | Registered: September 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not use it on an open top container. You dont only have to worry about the brushes, there is also the switch and possibly other sparking items such as an overload, speed controller, etc...
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
I have a two part opinion about drills. First is they spark like crazy, which of course you have addressed, second is they have handles that put you at ground zero if anything does go wrong. ie, you don't hold mixing pumps in your hands.

I take the hard line of don't use drills to mix anything with methanol because after welding/grinding on tanks and drums, it's been proven to be the most lethal thing you can do in biodiesel. That said, there are plenty of people that have figured out how to use them without getting 3rd degree burns or burning down their home.

Rick

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh the memories...

I'm one of those guys Rick speaks of. We used a regular hand drill with a 5-gallon bucket setup, covered with a snap on lid and hole punched in it for the mixing rod. I feel we were just lucky and can't recommend doing it. We moved away from that setup after a few successful batches, soon as we found a better design.

Do you have an air compressor?

If so, might I suggest a cheap air grinder in place of the brushless drill. Somewhere on here there is a link with pictures of our old setup. Basically just a 15 gallon stand tank, screw on lid, with a couple bearings holding the mixing rod and air grinder to the lid. Even with just an old 110v 15 gallon compressor, it mixed several hundreds of gallons of methanol and lye to perfection. Our current design is just a scaled up version with an air motor and 80 gallon compressor powering it.

The main thing that Rick's listed, is getting your body far away from that mixer. Methoxide is nasty enough stuff with minimal casual contact, ya never want to risk breathing the fumes or taking a bath in it. Take it from a long time brewer, some things are just not worth the long term health risk...

-K

Recycling & Green Fuels Research: www.altfuelsgroup.org
Ozone Eating Toys For Big Boys !!: www.suncoastexotics.com
Carefully Maintaining A Carbon Neutral Footprint...

Location: Southeastern Ohio | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for the replies. haha, i would never DREAM of using a normal drill anywhere near methoxide.

yeah, an air powered mixer is pretty much the best option. i looked at some, but they were expensive. i will have to look into the grinder.

yeah i definitely want a mixing tank that i don't have to be near when it's going.

tank would have to be sealed, vented, and metal before i'd do it indoors.

Location: PEI, Canada | Registered: September 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post