BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Equipment    Pump and dryer

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Pump and dryer
 Login/Join

posted
I had decided to revamp my drying process. I came up with a tower dryer that will max the surface exposure. (4 square feet) But I need to figure out how to pump the bio at a slow rate. My Ford oil pump on a stick (direct drive) is way too much flow. Even with a sealed 12v motor running on 6v it was pushing ~3 gal min. Down around 3v wasn’t bad flow, but the motor got really hot and drove my adjustable power supply nuts (pulsing). I would prefer not to have belts, pulley’s and such. My thought is to use a Holley Red (97 gal hour free flow) and try 1.6 gal min.

Is anyone using, or had trouble with bio and Holley Red fuel pump? How are they for continuous running? Better idea? I need to be in the 1-1.5 gpm range to get a slow/mild overflow down the tower.

The dryer itself is pretty simple and this version uses electric heat. If I should go the way off grid production (goal) it could the modified to use bio (other) heat by extending the tower through the bottom of the tank and installing a burner (similar to a gas water heater). Creating a heat box in the tower itself, heating the bio as it flows down (?possible flash drying?). Ideally the fire box and exhaust would be independent of the drying air (i.e. vented outside), much like modern house furnaces are.

If it works out I may try to adapt my raw oil settling tank with a similar set up for drying WVO. Just run it at a higher temp and add a sock filter.

Imagebio_production_details_dryer22.gif (12 Kb, 69 downloads) My new dryer design

posted Hide Post
Usual way to reduce pump delivery is to divert some of the flow back to the sump through a valved tee. Some nice ideas here. Thanks

Location: Ashford | Registered: March 12, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is anyone using, or had trouble with bio and Holley Red fuel pump? How are they for continuous running? Better idea? I need to be in the 1-1.5 gpm range to get a slow/mild overflow down the tower.

They are designed for continuous operation (eg street rods), and so should be fine for your application. You can also get a couple of valves in the pump outlet to divert some fuel to the source and to restrict fuel to the drier.

Location: Perth W.Australia | Registered: August 10, 2001Report This Post