BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Equipment    My processor design

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My processor design
 Login/Join

posted
Well it seems kind of slow, so here is my processor design. All comments welcome.

My processor borrows heavily from Graham Laming's Eco-System and the Appleseed turn-over designs. My thanks!

The tank is a water heater. The label claims it is 30 gallons. I have not measured the actual capacity yet. It is 38 inches tall and 20 in diameter. It has two one inch openings for elements, the lower one
is at 12 inches and the upper one is at 31 inches. I do not plan to use an upper element and for now I will just leave an unused element there, or maybe put in a plug.

The tank is upside down so it will drain better. There are five 3/4 inch pipe connectors, three on the bottom, one on the side near the bottom, and one on the side near the top. One of the bottom holes is the outlet to the pump, one feeds the sight tube, and the third is plugged.

The bottom side connector has a venturi that will:
Act as a mixing eductor with its 0.18" orifice,
Suck in methoxide from the oil cube, and
Provide gas circulation for removing water and methanol recovery.
The top side connector feeds the condenser and vent hose.

I hope that the mixing works well with the venturi feeding the tank at the rather low position, but if it doesn't I will probably unplug the top element hole, install a 1" to 3/4" reducer with a
bit of JB Weld, and move the venturi up there. Or if I can find a 1" to 3/4" reducer with the right mating surface, I can use an O-ring instead of JB Weld.

Using the Harbor Freight little black "3/4HP" pump, the venturi can get up to 20 inches of vacuum and transfer almost 2 liters per minute. That may be faster than I want for loading the methoxide, so I have a ball valve on it if I need to slow it down. I made a special cube cap with the two copper tubes so that I can change cubes easily. The tubes allow enough air through that the venturi won't create a vacuum and crush the cube. If I move to a vacuum design, I will obviously have to replace the cube with something vacuum proof.

To start with, I have a 5500 watt element in the lower position and I will feed it 120 volts to get around 1400 watts. If I need more heat, I may get one of those special low heat density ones that are supposed to be burnout proof.

Except for the venturi, everything in the main mixing circuit is metal. There is a ball valve on both sides of the venturi just in case something bad happens to it. For loading oil and emptying bio and glycerine, I will have a short section of clear vinyl to see what's going through.

The sight tube will only see WVO. Its valve will be open during oil loading, and fresh oil will go up the tube. Then the valve will close during processing. When loading the next batch of WVO, the valve will open, and the previous WVO in the tube will fall back into the tank.

The condenser is cooled with water from a plastic barrel, small pump, and vinyl tubing (not shown here).

Imagebiodiesel_1b.gif (26 Kb, 27 downloads) sketch

Location: Wyoming, US | Registered: November 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi R hodges

quote:
Originally posted by r_hodges:
The tank is a water heater. The label claims it is 30 gallons. I have not measured the actual capacity yet. It is 38 inches tall and 20 in diameter.
If that is the actual size of the cylinder this site figures it at about 51 gal US.
If the cylinder is smaller which seems likely, you can just plug in different numbers
http://www.calculatorsoup.com/...onstruction/tank.php

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post