BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Equipment    Centrifuge Finishing before filter
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Centrifuge Finishing before filter
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Jon.
you did not heat the biodiesel at all before running thru the cf. I always wandered about how it would remove koh soap. when it is best to filter at cooler temp than warm temp for the removal of koh soap. that makes me all the more reason to get one if I dont have to heat the bio. Brad.

Location: south west Iowa. | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And heat would cause more rapid polymerization.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fabricator:
They do not need an air source in this application, the air is only needed if are returning oil to the sump through anything other than a straight drop.

What do the outlets on these CF filters look like (Spinner2 and Dieselcraft?) Does the cleaned oil just tumble out of a hole or is the outlet threaded and can the oil therefore be led through a pipe away to another drum?

When these filters are fitted to a vehicle, is the idea that the cleaned oil returns to the sump by gravity?

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paulus:
quote:
Originally posted by fabricator:
They do not need an air source in this application, the air is only needed if are returning oil to the sump through anything other than a straight drop.

What do the outlets on these CF filters look like (Spinner2 and Dieselcraft?) Does the cleaned oil just tumble out of a hole or is the outlet threaded and can the oil therefore be led through a pipe away to another drum?

When these filters are fitted to a vehicle, is the idea that the cleaned oil returns to the sump by gravity?

Yes, and when you do not have a straight shot back to the sump, or you need to use elbows or a smaller diameter hose or pipe than the outlet of the centrifuge then you need to assist the oil flow with air pressure, if you are just dropping straight into a barrel you do not need air.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The air on a spinner is used to break the vacuum inside the filter. If I forget to supply the air pressure, the bowl does not spin as fast. It has a very different sound and does not work as well of course.

I do not believe the air supply has anything to do with the return oil lines. They are meant to be gravity fed back to the rest of the supply. You do not want any back pressure on the exit port. All of the documentation on the filters state the filter needs to be above the oil supply and gravity fed. Just call the mfg if you want to be sure. I already did 2 years ago.

All of the ports are 1/2 NPT.

Location: Elmwood, IL | Registered: December 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well okay, for cleaning WVO, which is better...Spinner2 or Dieselcraft?

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Can't speak for dieselcraft, but if you look at the specs of the two filters, they are basically the exact same design.

Location: Elmwood, IL | Registered: December 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon h.:
I just finished my first batch of demethyed BD cleaned with a centrifuge. I was amazed how quickly it removes the soaps (NaOH). Prior to this setup I would bag filter, or do the settling method. The settling method can take days, and the bag filtering can take upwards of 12 hours. The centrifuge has my BD below 300ppm in just a couple of hours. The time savings of this method are well worth it, and may make the GL 1 day process truly 1 day for me.

I look forward to running more batches (55 gallons at a time) through it to streamline my process. I know I will enjoy the extra free time it will give me.

Jon
Do you heat the Biodiesel while filtering it with your Centrifuge?

Danny

05 CRD and 07 Dodge 2500. Both on B100

Location: Fort Myers, Florida | Registered: November 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post