BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Equipment    Centrifuge Finishing before filter
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Centrifuge Finishing before filter
 Login/Join

posted
I know alot of you guys have purchased these units. How are they working for removing impurities from your finished Bio? I am still looking at pumping through a 1 micron filter to customers. A photo of what you have been removing from your finished Bio would be appreciated.
I would also like to know if Centrifuge processing of your dirty wvo lowers the ph of the oil?

posted Hide Post
Here is an old link of mine talking about the process and the testing.

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/719605551/m/3421061071/p/1

I have a 2 tank setup now with a timer to transfer BD between tanks during the filtering process. After I finish off with the CF, I pass through a 5micron then a 2micron filter to the storage tank. Then another 2micron filter from storage to car.

I can clean a 25 gallon batch of fuel in a few hours to around 75ppm. Works great for me and I would never go back to cleaning the old ways. Just too easy with the setup I have right now.

Location: Elmwood, IL | Registered: December 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bayshorecs, a few hours' spin time seems like so much for 25 gal of bio. What do you think of the dry wash technique of simply removing methanol and allowing soap etc to fall out, then filtering?

You'd recommend CF for removal of water and particles in WVO before processing?

Paul

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet the actual time i need is around 1-2 hours, with the timer, I set and forget it. What it really takes is 3-4 bowl cleanings...just when I get to them.

Using KOH, having the soap just fall out does not seem to happen very fast for me. And, my tank setup makes doing that a pain as well. The added bonus is that I have never had to replace my 5m or 2m filters. The CF removes the soap. Just a much cleaner process imo.

If I had another CF to use, I would remove the particles from WVO. Since I don't, I don't want to introduce WVO to my finished BD process.

Location: Elmwood, IL | Registered: December 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link and the information. I would be looking at processing 100 gallons a day. The larger centrifuges may benefit me more for the volume of finished fuel I would need. I have 8 200 gallon oil tanks for settling, drying, filtering and one 2000 gallon for finished. I want finished to be finished...

posted Hide Post
I just finished my first batch of demethyed BD cleaned with a centrifuge. I was amazed how quickly it removes the soaps (NaOH). Prior to this setup I would bag filter, or do the settling method. The settling method can take days, and the bag filtering can take upwards of 12 hours. The centrifuge has my BD below 300ppm in just a couple of hours. The time savings of this method are well worth it, and may make the GL 1 day process truly 1 day for me.

I look forward to running more batches (55 gallons at a time) through it to streamline my process. I know I will enjoy the extra free time it will give me.

posted Hide Post
Thanks jon. I am very pleased to hear that.

posted Hide Post
You should be able to make a nice setup with that kind of storage.

The model 60 I use will hold about 500ml of liquid. At about 250-300ml, the liquid is "on top of" the jet ports of the filter. So the bigger the filter bowl, the more soap it can hold between cleanings (this is where my problem actually is). You can also gang together several CF filters for more throughput. Depending on how you set it up, you could easily make a continuous process.

If I had the storage room, I could easily make 100 gallons per day with my setup.

posted Hide Post
Are you guys replacing the washing/drying completely with using the CF? Or is this in addition?

1985 300SD 160k miles
1992 F350 7.3 Dually 135k (Newly Acquired and 2 tank conversion coming soon!)

Location: Naples, FL | Registered: November 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RoysVeggy:
Are you guys replacing the washing/drying completely with using the CF? Or is this in addition?

Check the link in the second post.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I consider the use of a centrifuge a form of dry washing. I was skeptical that it would work, and have only done it once thus far. I used to bag filter, or let settle after methanol removal. This seems to be much faster than either of those methods, but I need to do some more batches.

posted Hide Post
My current process:

1. Course filter WVO for the really big stuff
2. Process BD like normal
3. 5% prewash - settle
4. Drain Gly layer
5. Demeth remaining meth in BD
6. Transfer to holding tank and bubble air to remove trace water from prewash and any trace meth.
7. Transfer to CF tank to process through filter
8. Transfer to storage

If I really pushed it, I could easily doing everything in a day with my 65 gallon appleseed setup. I usually can just do a step at a time when I feel like it.

posted Hide Post
I have been doing this for about 1 and 1/2 years now. I stop filter when I test out to under 100ppm or about 4 bowl cleans.

About 1500 gallons so far I believe and going strong.

Another thing to note. There is a finite amount of soap the bowl can hold especially using KOH since it is more liquid. The prewash lets me start the filtering process around 1500ppm. Without it, I would be around 3000ppm. The more soap = more bowl cleanings = more time. Although I may need to reconsider the prewash method if the glycerine WVO prewash to demeth research pans out...

posted Hide Post
Does your bio clear up and stay clear? That has been a problem for me with koh and water washing, after washing and drying I will often have fuel that gets a little cloudy after cooling off and will usually get some wispy fine white fallout in my storage tank, this process sounds pretty good.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Below 35F, it starts to cloud up some. My fuel stays liquid to 25F though and I have been able to use it the majority of the winter.

The only water I use is the 5% prewash.

This method works great for me since I do not have water or a drain in the garage.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Centrifuge

I have a Centrifuge and I recommend it.

posted Hide Post
I am thinking of going this route, but dont understand why the spinner 11 require an air source, is there any difference from the diesel craft in the way they work. I assume they both work the same way. Brad

Location: south west Iowa. | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They do not need an air source in this application, the air is only needed if are returning oil to the sump through anything other than a straight drop.

posted Hide Post
I am doing my second 55 gallon batch of demethyd biodiesel through the FF60 Spin Clean centrifuge. I am really amazed at how much soap this removes. I am doing this at ambient temperature which is in the 40s, and the bowl has quite a bit of soap in it after 2 hours. Normally I would bag filter, and in these temps the bags would clog very quickly (they don't clog so fast when its warm out). I really think this is the way to go.

posted Hide Post
The only thing that concerns me about this method would be polymerization, but I guess it would not be any worse than spray or bubble wash/drying.