BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Equipment    Eductor Beta Testers Wanted
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eductor Beta Testers Wanted
 Login/Join

2013 Sponsor
posted
Hi All,

I've found an eductor for the Appleseed. I don't have the time or the ability to test it out extensively on my own. The eductor comes out of initial testing discussed in this thread.

You will get an eductor with three different insert nozzles and an adapter pipe for mounting in an Appleseed. In exchange you will perform several tests. Warning, your biodiesel may not pass 3/27, so if every drop you make needs to meet 3/27, then this is not for you.

You will run three tests.

Test 1 and 2 need to be the same oil

Test 1 is a control where you record specific information and run the 3/27 test at intervals during mixing.

Test 2 is identical to test 1 except with the eductor installed.

Test 3 is to see if you can make 3/27 passing biodiesel using the eductor and loading the methoxide as fast as you can.

The eductor and adapter will be sent to you at no cost to you.

3/3/11-edited link to archived thread

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RickDaTech,

ImageP2120013.jpg (49 Kb, 1771 downloads)

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
We have half of the people we need. Still looking for volunteers.

The initial tests look very promising, we just need to find out if those results can be consistently maintained with a variety of oil, operators, and installations.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Only a few slots left folks.

posted Hide Post
Rick,

You got my email saying I'd like to test, right?

Andrew

http://biodieselcommunity.org
03 Dodge 2500 B100 homebrew
79 Rabbit B100 homebrew

Location: Northern California | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Yep,

I need a "ship to" address and then you'll be officially part of the beta test.

posted Hide Post
Hi Rick.

Unfortunately, I can't be a beta testor for you, but I noticed something in the eductor photo that you might want to mention to the eductor manufacturer.

Because I lack any significant chemlab experience, when I look at the photo I'm not sure whether the fluid flow is from left to right or from right to left.

I'm guessing that the flow from left to right because the tube tapers that way and I think an eductor is designed to create a vortex in fluid flowing through a line into a chamber in order to convert psi and flow into a mixing force.

Anyway, I think I see threads on the left end of the eductor, but there's no visible location to fit a wrench on the eductors tube near the threads. The hex that is visable is on the eductors' right end. I'm guessing that the hex is threaded internally like a nut.

If the left end is threaded for installation and requires significant rotational force to tighten the threads to prevent leaking, then I don't see where an installer can impart the force neccessary to fully seat the threads.

If a wrench were used on the right end of the eductor to tighten the threads on the eductors left end, the rotational force would be imparted through the thin cross section of the eductors four fins.

A simple solution to this is for the manufacturer to mold a hex (or 2 flats) onto the cone end just after the threads. That way a wrench could be used right beside the threads and no force would be imparted across the fins.

I know this thing is made of plastic and likely won't require, or even be able to bear, much force to seat the threads on either end. If the eductor is installed so that it flows into a batch reactor, a perfect seal may not be required so the left side threads may be acceptably seated with simple hand tightness.

I believe you sell good products at fair prices and I'm betting that this new eductor will be well recieved.

I'm just offering a friendly obseration so nobody accidently puts a wrench on the hex end of the eductor to tighten the threads on the opposite end and then proceeds to twist the thing apart.

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Welder,

The flow is from right to left. In our application the male threads are not used. The 1/2" npt female threads under the hex will be screwed onto a 1/2" pipe with one of the orifaces and compression ring installed between the eductor and the pipe. Minor leaks are not an issue since this is all inside the tank. To give some scale to the eductor, the threads on the left are 3/4" npt.

The nozzle sizes are 1/8" 3/32" and 3/16"

posted Hide Post
That's good news.

I just didn't want anyone to accidently damage their new eductor, that's all.

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Installation

The eductor has three major parts,
The eductor it'self
A 3/4" x 4" Adapter nipple
A 1/2" x 12" pipe nipple

It will be assembled like this, only when finished it will be inside the tank. I've placed the middle of the eductor at my 120L fill line.

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
In the above picture, I've removed the heating element. The eductor will be mounted on the 1/2" pipe and inserted through the upper element hole.

This will be fished up through a 3/4" port on top and the 3/4" adapter nipple attached to it. The ideal place is in the same hole it returns to originally.

First Problem, I was using the cold water inlet to return my oil back into the water heater. It has a lip on it that holds the dip tube in place. This lip prevents me from sliding a 1/2" pipe through. I'll be moving my return line over to the annode rod hole. I'm using that for a vent now, so I have a little re-arranging to do.

Once you have a hole you can fish some strong twine through the top hole and out the upper element hole. Run the twine through the pipe and eductor and tie a nut on the end. leave several feet of twine so you can pull it back out when your done.

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
After removing the vent from the water heater, pull the 1/2" pipe with the eductor up through the vent and attach the 3/4" adapter nipple.

Then put everything back together again.

posted Hide Post
From the installation pics, now I understand. There won't be any torque across the fins at all.

posted Hide Post
Hi Rick

In the pic ....

.... you say ....

quote:
The flow is from left to right.

Should that be right to left?

I was looking at ...

... and thought the eductor must be on upside-down, but I think it's just the left > right comment that needs changing.

Or am I misunderstanding something else?

Rover 75 + Skoda Fabia on B100
http://www.graham-laming.com

Bicycle on G100 12,000 miles p.a. ( http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/GrahamLaming )

Location: UK | Registered: December 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Graham,

Your correct. The flow is from right to left. I've changed it in the post above.

posted Hide Post
quote:
and thought the eductor must be on upside-down, but I think it's just the left > right comment that needs changing.

I was thinking the same - that eductor IS upside-down surely?

Free collection of waste cooking oil in the Nottingahm area http://wastevegoil.co.uk

Location: Nottingham UK | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
The nozzle fits inside the female threaded end and is held in place by the pipe threading into the eductor.

In the picture, the nozzle is on the left and the diffuser is on the right. The most important part of an eductor is the nozzle and will increase flow by a theoretical 3X. The diffuser (on the right) makes the eductor more efficient and brings the theoretical flow to 5X.

When this batch cools down tomorrow, I'll see if I can make a short video of it in action.

posted Hide Post
Ah! that last picture makes it clear - thanks Rick.

Free collection of waste cooking oil in the Nottingahm area http://wastevegoil.co.uk

Location: Nottingham UK | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Rick,

Are there any tester slots left? I'd like to give this thing a shot, as I had trouble with my static mixer, due to my use of a roller pump, instead of the HF pump. The static mixer created too much load on my pump, and stalled the motor. I'd like to know if this would do the same.

Thanks!
Brian

-----------------------------------
Just purchased 2/1/08, 1985 F-250 2wd 6.9 IDI C6 Auto 186k $400 at auction. Was running my B100 in my fathers 1995 F250 PowerStroke, with >215,000 miles, on truck. So far, only about 500 on bio, but no problems yet.
Lost my oil supply at the end of 2007, now gearing up to grow my own.

Location: Crete, Nebraska | Registered: November 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Video of the eductor in action. This is unwashed biodiesel with the methanol removed. It has not had enough time to settle out the soap. It's a big 3.8Mb Widows Media file.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WecrPxOUMHw

edit: repaired broken link

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RickDaTech,

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RedLance:
Hey Rick,

Are there any tester slots left? I'd like to give this thing a shot, as I had trouble with my static mixer, due to my use of a roller pump, instead of the HF pump. The static mixer created too much load on my pump, and stalled the motor. I'd like to know if this would do the same.

Thanks!
Brian

What is a "roller pump"? We still have a few slots left open.