BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Equipment    mothballing processor

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

mothballing processor
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

I am restoring our school's biodiesel processor and want to see what advice you have for storing the pumps. The system may not be used by another group of students for months or even years at times. The pumps have been restored but I am worried that we haven't yet figured out how to store them so they won't be ruined in the future. When we started, the pumps were seized and had a varnish-like deposit on them. Since then, we have only had water in the pumps and were careful to drain them after testing but still had to crack open a pump to free the impeller.

We have two 2" Harbor Frieght (HF) pumps that only move WVO for filtering and dewatering, and a large steel rotary gear pump that mixes our biodiesel.

Should we be careful to drain all the oil out of the HF pumps between batches? Should we leave them full of oil? Should we rinse them with water and spray WD-40 in them?

Should we drain the large pump every time (this would be very difficult) or can we leave it half full of biodiesel if the next batch is to be made within weeks?

Question:
Should we mothball the pumps with fluid in them?

Choices:
No, let them drip-dry.
Yes, fill HFs with WVO and large one with BD
Yes, but use another solution for mothballing
Rinse with water then fill with this other thing.

posted Hide Post
None of the above.

Harbor Freight and other steel/iron pumps rust with water stored in them.

Letting them drip dry without doing anything else is not good either.

if you're using the traditional blue (or black) Harbor Freight pumps, remove the three bolts which secure the outer pump housing. You should now see the brass vane. You may also see why you should do this.

You may get away with tipping the pumps up side down and shaking until no more water drips out, but this is not reliable.

When storing anything for a period of time that comes in contact with a fluid, unless directly specified by the manufacturer, ensure they are *clean* and dry.

A Couple weeks or at most a month between batches should be okay, but given the environmental considerations vary between everyone's setup. Temperate and humid environments need to have closer monitoring for WVO getting stiff, etc.

The above comes from my experience with the harbor freight pumps that I use to get water from a creek. I shake them with the discharge pointed down and then I store them in a position that any remaining water can drip out and not pool anywhere inside the pump cavity.

Location: Columbus, GA, USA | Registered: September 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, just clean/rinse them out and store them with a light coating of oil.
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your advice. The little HF pumps are easy to drain. They pump oil during the processing anyway so the light coat of oil is not a problem. However, the large steel pump is harder. It will have some biodiesel left in the pump. It has recessed wells in the housing and is very heavy. It has a thin, paper gasket between the housing pieces that would tear if we were opening it all the time. The gasket is 18.00, so we can't afford that. Should I pump it full of oil? Should I make sure it is full of biodiesel (so it wont leave a line of dried residue)? Some other fluid?

posted Hide Post
Veggie oil and or biodiesel is not the type of oil I am talking about, they will biodegrade/polymerize leaving sticky residue.
I would suggest some used motor oil or some type of dino oil that will not dry out.
For the big pump it would be fine to leave it with the bio in it. If your planning on storing it for a year or more then flush it out with water or solvent, dry, then pour or spray some oil in it.
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

posted Hide Post
What would happen if there is a little dino oil left in the pump when we restart? Will it adversely affect the WVO or biodiesel? Do we need to run a solvent through first? What kind of solvents do you use?