BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Equipment    Storing KOH and NaOH

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Storing KOH and NaOH
 Login/Join

posted
What do you guys do to store your catalyst? I'm getting tired of filling all these plastic coffee containers. Would a cooler work?

posted Hide Post
sparky
-are you using koh, mine comes in a heavy plastic bag, I cut the corner off the bag, tape in a 2" short nipple and just pour it into a container as I need it, you have to make shure you squeeze the air out of the bag, and put the cap on. Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use both KOH and NaOH. The bag mine comes in sounds the same as yours. I get the general idea of what you're doing, but what kind of nipple are we talking about?

posted Hide Post
I use 5 gallon buckets with gamma lids on them.

quote:
Originally posted by Murphy: In short, this place is like a multi-dimensional bull$hit detector on steroids

Location: In the Pacific Somewhere | Registered: January 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a 50L poly drum with a gasketed lid, I have a secondary plastic bag that the bag of caustic goes in and I squeeze all the air out and fold the top over before sealing the drum. I also have a dehumidifier running in the room where I store it.
I have some NaoH in there thats almost 2 years old and it still looks fresh.
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blue plastic poly barrels with clamp-on gasketed lids. I think they're rated as 15-gallon size. One barrel holds two bags. The seal keeps the KOH fresh seemingly forever.

The bags of KOH I've seen have stitched outer covers. The stitching punches holes through the inner plastic bag, and can admit CO2 and moisture, both of which will eventually neutralize the KOH. I put it into the barrels as soon as possible.

Cheers,
JohnO

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
When I open the bag it is to weight it out into zip lock baggies and then store under seal in 30 Lb pails until use. That's the NaOH. The KOH gos into smaller containers as I don't weight it straight away, it is for soap making.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post