BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Volvo    Volvo Diesel Plug-in Hybrid

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Volvo Diesel Plug-in Hybrid
 Login/Join

posted
I pulled this from Wired's Autopia blog:

"Volvo has launched a joint venture with a Swedish utility to put a plug-in hybrid on the road by 2012 in an push to dominate the emerging market for cars with cords.

The automaker says its partnership with Vattenfall is a “significant leap” forward for its plan to develop a hybrid and says the partnership will make it “a market leader in plug-in hybrid technology.” In a twist, the car will use a diesel engine alongside its electric motor. A lithium ion battery will provide a range of 50 kilometers (31 miles). Volvo says the car will emit about 50 grams of CO2 per kilometer, about half that of the best hybrids currently on the road."

Wouldn't that be sweet if it's not too mucked up with stuff to make it non-compatible with biodiesel.

"mixing up a bunch of magic stuff"

Al

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD - B25 - 100
2005 Ford F250 6.0 - B25 - 100
Kubota BX 2300 - B25 - 100
Kubota BX 1860 - B25 - 100
5KW Generator Set - B25
Lopi Republic 1250 - Glycerol/Sawdust Logs
Bath and Laundry - Glycerine Soaps

Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
im a cynic. i doubt anything that desirable makes it too U.SUV.A.

1-tank Elsbett VW TDI , 220,000 WVO miles.
http://ctbiodzl.freeshell.org/votdi.html
and a '92 F-250 with only a FPHE

Location: Ct,USA | Registered: November 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The big problem with the present level hybrid technology is.........IT SUCKS, there aint no way in hell they are EVER going to sell large quantities of these things when they have $30,000+ price tags and a 31 mile range on batteries, that is going to be GMs next big fail, they are going to get the Volt on the market and it is going to be a monumental, catastrophic failure. $40,000+ for a electric with a 35 mile range, they might as well just sh!t can the entire program righ now, they will be way ahead of the game.
Most of the hybrids on the road right now get worse mileage than the diesel VWs, a 45mpg diesel trumps 35mpg hybrid all to hell and gone.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fab
-right on!! and what about the pollution from the dead batteries!

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I disagree most of the Volt Concept is solid. I have a 2006 Buick that is an amazing car full of great little details, smooth and comfortable needs minimal maintance and has 150K miles on it. Still looks and runs excellently. GM has potential they just miss the boat alot.

It's the SH!T can it now attitude that got the 4.5 diesel engine cancelled when the project was already complete. That was looking to be a great engine. That engine needed to be optional in every truck GM makes from the Canyon to the Silverado and all of the SUVs they make. They need to take the Camero install the diesel engine in it an make it look like a Buick and sell a diesel Buick Personal Luxury Coupe

And a new 2010 VW Jetta diesel only got 32 mpg while traveling on the highway at 80 mph. This was such a let down. The 2006 VW Jetta TDI was getting 40-44.

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL | Registered: June 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My average trip around town is less than 35 miles.

If I had an Electric Hybrid, my fillups would be few and far between, and only be for "road-trips".

I suppose an alternative would be to use a 100% EV for local jaunts, and have a second car (or a rental) for the road-trips.

An alternative would be to have a 100% EV and a generator trailer or slide-in module that one could snag as necessary. Doing so would probably lighten the car by 500-1000 lbs or so. Perhaps even more.

The problem is that the governments will eventually have to deal with things like road taxes. Motels will have to figure out how to deal with EVs. Our aging Power Distribution Net will have to be upgraded nationwide.

AND... The USA has a serious energy deficit. The EV merely pushes the energy deficit from one supplier to another.

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Here's some more info about the production ready Volvo V60 Diesel PHEV which was unveiled a few months back.

http://www.gizmag.com/volvo-v6...diesel-hybrid/17940/

I hope they're not teasing us because I would like to see this in showrooms soon.

dieselcarsnow.com

posted Hide Post
Hey Milo,I was just going through your link.Can you just tell us approximately when is this product being introduced in market?

Location: 1308 Richmond Ave,Staten Island | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post