BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Energy Options  Hop To Forums  Conservation & Efficiency    What do y'all think???? Energy efficiency ideas

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do y'all think???? Energy efficiency ideas
 Login/Join

2013 sponsor
posted
I appreciate how many of my friends on this forum are pretty sharp AND think outside of the box. So, with that in mind, I'd like your opinions on a couple of energy efficiency ideas.

Fog mist on outside AC unit- I've seen some kits and heard of folks applying a fog mist (one or two gallons per hour, VERY fine mist) to the outside AC coil. One $60 kit has a relay to spray only when the AC is on and the fan is running. If local water has too many dissolved salts, I understand there are some in-line filters like they use on the patio fog misters. For sure, I'd put inline a washable 200 line screen.

Foil radiant barrier- Years ago, I bought some kraft paper-backed foil and installed it on the undersides of my rafters in the attic. Sure seemed to help. That house had continuous ridge and soffit vents so it had some pretty good attic ventilation. I carried the foil up to within six inches of the ridge on the inside and left a gap so any hot air would be able to escape. I sold the house a year later and didn't get any data on energy savings. I still have some and have thought about adding it to the attic rafters, not on the attic floor so as to catch dust.

KVAR Units- lots of new websites are popping up for whole-house Kvar units. Supposedly, the capacitors in these devices level out the power to any induction motor, reducing the kwh demand. My electrician buddies tell me there is some benefit for three phase applications but are very doubtful toward savings on single phase equipment. Again, about the time I bought the foil radiant barrier ('94 or so) I also bought these "Energy Planers" at Home Depot. They were devices that were plugged into the wall and the appliance with a motor (fridge, washer, etc.) were then plugged into the Power Planer. I tried it with a Kill A Watt meter on an old fridge. The fridge died while on this. But, it was a VERY old fridge. Still, I was chicken and never used the devices again.

I have some other ideas but will hold off for now. What do y'all think? Any real world experience on any of these ideas?

2002 F-250, 7.3l on WVO since '04
'82 VW Rabbit diesel 1.6l na
'83 GMC 6.2l Class C RV
'85 F-350, 6.9l flat bed
'85 E-350, 6.9l cube van
2 Mercedes 300SD's
3 Chinese Changfa-style diesel generators- 12kw, 8kw & 7.5kw
Mitsubishi 3 cyl diesel generator/light tower
Kubota 2 cyl. diesel, water cooled air compressor
Onan 12.5kw air-cooled diesel genset
I run my company entirely on renewable energy including electricity from generators running on biofuels.

Location: El Dorado, Ark | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post