BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Energy Options  Hop To Forums  Conservation & Efficiency    Can I feed Food Particles from WVO to my Worm Farm?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I feed Food Particles from WVO to my Worm Farm?
 Login/Join

posted
Getting into vermiculture and vermicomposting, was just wondering if anyone else has experience with this, and whether it is healthy for red worms to have lots of vegetable oil in their diet.

I understand that animal products shouldn't be fed to worms but the reasons differ - some say it is unhealthy for them, while others say it won't be eaten fast enough and will end up rotting.

Any suggestions???

News and Views www.dailypaul.com

Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: June 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The thread where the conversation on worms started is here:
Who says the Science is settled??

I'm pretty convinced that worms shouldn't eat animal fats, probably not much vegetable oil either. Other things they shouldn't eat include orange peels or other citrus, onions, and garlic.

As I build my farm I'll be experimenting with a lot of parameters, including feeding some batches of worms different amounts of animal matter and VO and seeing how they fare over time. Pity the little buggers if it kills them. I'm they'll avoid the unhealthy food and go straight for the veggie matter.

After that I propose an experiment to see if the average human is smart enough to avoid unhealthy foods that could potentially kill them. You know, a pile of ribs on one table and a veggie platter on the other...

News and Views www.dailypaul.com

Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: June 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear that they like raw milk. In pastures sprayed with milk it draws worms and the grass was better all around.

posted Hide Post
quote:
unhealthy for them

It actually differs from species to species. So nothing is fixed. Professionals can give you the best advice.

Location: 400 Bucksley Ln, Charleston, SC 29492 | Registered: January 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post