BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Isuzu & Mitsubishi    Thinking of 4BD1T swap into my 1986 Jeep Cherokee

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of 4BD1T swap into my 1986 Jeep Cherokee
 Login/Join

posted
Hey All,

Added this to an old thread I had in the Misc. section, but thought I'd start a new one here. I had a 1986 Jeep Cherokee diesel with the 2.1L Renault. I'm getting rid of the Renault and am working out a swap with something else. I want to keep things simple, so I'm sticking with either a VW 1.9TD (AAZ), Toyota 2LT, or a 4BD1T/2TC. They all seem to cost around the same, give or take, and all have companies that can supply adapters. Originally, I just planned on the VW using the Acme adapter + Toyota bellhousing. Then someone suggested I might consider the Toyota 2LT as an option, as well, as it wouldn't need the adapter but just the bellhousing. Then someone else recommended the Isuzu as I could use an adapter from isuzudieselswapper.com to make the Isuzu resemble a Chevy and an adapter from Advance Adapters to make that mate up to my AX5.

Any thoughts? Here's how the pre-labor costs seem to break down:

Toyota 2LT
Engine: $2500 (though I've seen them as low as $2000 from time to time)
Bellhousing: practically free
TOTAL: let's just say $2600

VW 1.9TD
Engine: $2500
Acme Adapter: $575
Toyota Bellhousing and G-series input shaft: practically free
TOTAL: let's just say $3100

Isuzu 4BD1T/2TC
Engine: $2500
IsuzuDieselSwapper Adapter: $680
Advance Adapter: $455
TOTAL: let's just say $3700

The only fabrication that will need doing, it seems, is the motor mounts to get it into the Jeep, but I'll be using stock transmission and transfer case and everything else, so that should cut down significantly on labor costs. Also, the engines are all mechanical, so no ECUs and complex wiring harnesses...right?

So, which is the best application for my project? The VW is fairly weak in its stock form (but not too shabby), but can be tuned quite a lot and there is a lot of aftermarket support and parts availability. The Toyota is also on the weaker side, but I've read about it being tuneable, as well, and very reliable. Parts are a little harder to find, though. The Isuzu has good power right from the get-go, is reliable to a fault, and with all the NPRs on the road, shouldn't be too hard to find parts. Right?

This is more of a DD rig, not a rock crawler, so I don't need monster torque numbers. The primary considerations will be reliability, fuel economy, and veg-oil suitability.

So, what do you think?

Cheers,

Trip

Location: Pasadena, CA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Nissan RD28 just got added to the list as I was offered a good one pretty cheap.

RD28
Engine: $1600
Adapter: couldn't find one from any company online...any thoughts on what a fair cost would be to fabricate one?
Total: ???

Location: Pasadena, CA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would go with a Mercedes OM 616.Reason no rubber timing belts,good engine to burn homemade fuels.

126 diesels yahoo groups
83 SD straight exhaust 94 Cobra
Cold air,real cold.Cobra electric radiator fan,Monark nozzles,10 psi electric fuel pump.85 amp alternator 12" subs.23 psi boost, 30 micron filter,an 5 micron filter added
2 tank,wvo,boost guage ,line heaters,coolant heater Fattywagons customer. 99 S320 with 75 more hp.

Location: Bristol Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have driven an RD-28 Nissan and it was powerful and looked good but was only 2 wheel drive. I saw a Wrangler with a Mercedes engine and the gearing was wrong on that one. I was at a car show where he a Brand new chevy truck with an Isuzu engine. He made a good argument in favor of the Isuzu.

No mater what it sounds like a lot of time, energy and money to be put into a 1986 Cherokee. I am sure it will be worth a lot less money then you have in it when you are done. You are going to have to drive it for years to pay for it.

Chris at Frybrid told me to get a stick shift Jeep Cherokee and a 4BT Cummins engine and the engine will bolt right up to the transmission. I would like to see that.

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL | Registered: June 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hi guys. does anyone here converted c33 laurel with the diesel rd28 to an rb20det engine? I basically want to start drifting but don't know enough to carry a conversion such as this through myself, and was just wondering where i could get assistance and Nissan Parts required for this.