BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Isuzu & Mitsubishi    Isuzu 3.0TD (4JX1) swap into 2001 gas Trooper

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Isuzu 3.0TD (4JX1) swap into 2001 gas Trooper
 Login/Join

posted
I picked up a 2001 V6 gas trooper for cheap, and am looking into swapping the 4JX1 turbo diesel into it. Anybody have any advice on this- looks like I can get the engine and trans for under $4k- just wondering how straight-forward the swap will be- any major fabrication? I'm hoping it will be a fairly direct swap, though I'm sure I may need to do some rewiring... any help would be much appreciated

Shawn

Image2001Trooper.jpg (17 Kb, 10 downloads)

Location: Volcano, Hawaii | Registered: February 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
check the legalities of the swap. I think that in NYS you can't do the swap any newer than 1995 as that is when they have to plug into the computer and do emissions checks for inspection.
I would check to be sure you will be able to get it legal before you spend the money

86 F250 veggie since May 2005 25,000 miles and counting

78 Benz 300D converted Feb 2006 2,500 miles and no longer counting

92 F250 converted on May 2,2005 14
000 miles and counting

81 rabbitt
84 benz 300d

Location: New York (south of Buffalo) | Registered: May 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hawaii does not have emissions tests- they don't even look under the hood- just a very basic brake and light inspection, so I don't think it will be a problem. Thanks for the input, though- definitely an important thing to consider -- Shawn

Location: Volcano, Hawaii | Registered: February 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you'd like an overview of an Isuzu Trooper conversion in progress, feel free to browse my site: www.dieseltrooper.blogspot.com

It is actually quite an involved project, so be prepared to spend quite a lot of time and money on it to get it all together.

If you'd like to discuss specifics of the Isuzu diesels etc., the Isuzu diesel forum at www.4x4wire.com is the place to do it.

Location: Twin Cities | Registered: April 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by acy76:
If you'd like an overview of an Isuzu Trooper conversion in progress...

Thanks, acy76- I had already stumbled upon your site in my search for info and have it bookmarked. You may be able to help me with sourcing a 4JX1, and other parts, but I'm afraid that the differences between your first generation 88 trooper, and my third generation 2001, may be extensive. I'm actually inclined to hope that mine might be a bit easier, in that the chassis may be built more universally to accept either gas OR diesel, as most other companies have tended to do for late-model cars (as far as I can tell!). Anyway- I'm sure I will be sending some questions your way, so thanks for the info- and I'll stay tuned to your blog for your next update. Aloha from Hawaii-

Shawn

posted Hide Post
I am curious to know if you have locate a 4JX1 Diesel engine. I am also looking into converting a 3rd generation Trooper (either a '99 or '02 Trooper) to take a Toyota Diesel engine (1KD-FTV) or a Nissan Diesel engine (4JG2). I have been researching Isuzu Diesel engines and learned that the 4JX1 engines have an factory engineering design problem - injector seal problem). Please let me know.

Location: los angeles | Registered: August 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I am also looking into converting a 3rd generation Trooper (either a '99 or '02 Trooper) to take a Toyota Diesel engine (1KD-FTV) or a Nissan Diesel engine (4JG2).

== http://www.win-on-slots.com/ ==

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hnoor0055,

NOOR