BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Isuzu & Mitsubishi    1989 Isuzu Pup gas-diesel conversion

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1989 Isuzu Pup gas-diesel conversion
 Login/Join

posted
Wow this is cool I have been a member here for most of a year and just now noticed another forum I am interested in.
We recently retrieved my wife's Pup with a loud knock in the four banger gas engine. With our newfound interest in biodiesel we are considering converting the truck to diesel. Don't laugh, I actually did a conversion in the other direction several years ago. Now that I have established that I am nuts, can you tell me what cars and engines to look for that will most easily fit in under the hood?
Brian Rodgers

Brian Rodgers

Home of the biodiesel drinking bears.
2005 Jeep Liberty, 2003 VW Jetta TDI
1992 Dodge Dually Cummins Peirce Arrow Dumpbed
http://www.outfitnm.com

Location: Northeastern New Mexico | Registered: October 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd go for an Isuzu diesel. Great engines, available as imports and will likely be a bolt-in job. See the isuzu diesel forum at www.4x4wire.com, lots of knowledgeable people there. I'm also converting an isuzu to diesel, details at www.dieseltrooper.blogspot.com

Location: Twin Cities | Registered: April 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fantastic, thank you.
My wife will be so happy if I can put her Lil'Pup back on the road. To convert it to diesel will really be awesome.
Brian Rodgers

Brian Rodgers

Location: Northeastern New Mexico | Registered: October 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The early '80's gas p'up is easy to convert to diesel. There is a guy I know in Florida that is buying 1980 model gas burners and converting them to Diesel. His address is: freedomat2000@yahoo.com

Location: Hawkinsville, Ga. 31036 | Registered: October 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i just wanted to tell you i am in the processe of changing my 88 isuzu to a diesel. it alot of work and im hopeing to get close to 40 to 50 miles to the gallon . i would be glad to help with what it takes just shoot me a email

Location: clayton nc | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, please tell me how to convert my 3.2 liter gas engine to become a diesel. Not talking about installing a diesel engine but changing my gas engine to diesel, can it be done?

Location: minnesota | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Ah, no.

Brian Rodgers

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by royalosiodhachain:
Yes, please tell me how to convert my 3.2 liter gas engine to become a diesel. Not talking about installing a diesel engine but changing my gas engine to diesel, can it be done?

Uhhh

I think you need to do a lot of research before asking that question.

I did see a diagram showing a Model A Ford that had a diesel intake line wrapped around the exhaust pipe/manifold for pre-heating, then into the carburetor. Apparently it would allow switching from gasoline to Diesel once the engine got hot. And, someone commented that something similar was done with some older tractors. You'd just have to make sure they got very hot before switching from gasoline to Diesel.

Most gasoline engines are made to run at about an 8:1 compression ration (max).
Most diesel engines are made to run at about twice that... say 16:1 to 22:1.

See Wikipedia about high-octane racing gasoline/alcohol engines.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_ratio

Older Chevy Diesels were supposed to have shared a common block between the Gas and Diesel engines, but were supposed to have troubles with the head bolts coming loose. Apparently that was fixed years ago. But, it is a sign of the differences between gasoline and diesel engines.

Turbos are discouraged on many of the older, small gasoline engines for similar reasons.

The Diesels usually have more piston rings. Different top of the pistons and head design.

Other than the special case of preheated fuel above, a carburetor is useless in a Diesel. It must have direct cylinder injection.

Many of the older gasoline cars had intake manifold injection, which wouldn't be sufficient.

I suppose if you have an overhead cam gasoline engine, you could redo the timing belt to allow adding a timing belt driven injection pump.

Anyway, if you have a very sturdy built direct cylinder injected gasoline engine with a turbo.... perhaps you could convert it to a Diesel, especially if there is a very similar diesel engine on the market like some of the VW 4-cylinder gas & diesel engines.

But, I'm guessing the conversion will be expensive, and not particularly robust when you finish.

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you must also remember to make a diesel engine out of a gas engine
(that last for a little while atleast)

you must also reinorce the crankshaft, connecting rods and change the camshaft timing almost certainly else you will be hitting pistons with valves

dont forget you must find a way to drive the diesel injection pump aswell which probably will mean some special fabrication

then you will also need to fabricate a whole new cylinder head since there is no room for injectors in a gasoline head

all in all way too complicated and certainly not cost effective

about 75% wvo during summer
1-1,5ml acetone 1ml turps per litre fuel

"wvo blending"Wink

Location: skaune/scania (scandinavia) | Registered: February 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Especially considering there are bolt-in diesel engines for this vehicle.

Location: Colorado | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What way could I drive the diesel injection pump? I am a little confuse with that special fabrication stuff..