Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'86 trooper
 Login/Join

posted
I recently bought a grease car kit on CL. Can anyone tell me if i can update the parts? And where to get them?

Parts List:
1. Fuel Tank, rectangular about 29" long and about 12 - 14 gallons (pex line at the bottom)
2. 6 port valve (there were no other valves
3. Pex line
4. Heater Hose
5. Fuel gauge
6. A couple of switches with wiring harness
7. Heated fuel filter (copper tubing wrapped)

How come there is only one valve? Don't i need a 3 port valve as well?

Location: Dallas/Fort Worth TX | Registered: July 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two-tank conversions only require a single 6-port valve, or two 3-port valves. Study the flow paths of the main tank supply line, return line, and svo circuit to understand why. If it still doesn't make sense, please ask - it's really pretty simple, but sometimes hard to visualize.
Cheers,
JohnO

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
okay, let me see if i got this theory down.
1. During warm up Diesel-in and Diesel-back (to diesel tank line) valves are open.
2. At warm up svo-in and svo-back (back to svo tank line) valves are open.
3. At purge diesel-in valve opens, but svo-back valve are open.

If all that is true, why doesn't my svo tank have a return line or inlet?

Location: Dallas/Fort Worth TX | Registered: July 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
During warmup, the SVO is blocked by the valve, and the Diesel flows through the valve, to the IP and Injectors, which send some excess fuel back to the valve, which directs the return back to the tank.
When the valve is switched to "SVO", the diesel supply and return are blocked by the valve, the hot SVO flows from the tank, through the valve, to the IP and Injectors, and the excess from the iP and Injectors goes back to the valve where it rejoins the SVO flow to the IP and Injectors. There is no SVO return to the tank. The excess SVO recycles through the valve back to the IP, which is why this is sometimes referred to as a "looped" system.
When the valve is switched back to diesel, the excess SVO that was in the return "loop" is suddenly able to flow through the valve back to the diesel tank. Some folks worry that this slug of SVO added to the diesel every time the system is switched will cause problems.
Didn't the kit come with a diagram of the fuel flow paths? I'm sure a search of the archives here will show some diagrams posted in the past. Would someone please will post a link?
Cheers,
JohnO

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did some searching for good diagrams, and recommend searching for Sunwizard's numerous posts. He also has a website that will answer many of your questions here. Sunwizard was instrumental in developing a simple way to flush the SVO out of the fuel system when switching from SVO back to Diesel, but it requires one more 3-port valve.
Cheers,
JohnO