BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    use CHEAP ceramics to create radiant heat with your oil heater?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

use CHEAP ceramics to create radiant heat with your oil heater?
 Login/Join

posted
hmmm... got no clue how well this would work in reality.. buttt. it does make you go hmmmm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Cml9v7g4A

http://heatstick.com/_KanHeet01.htm

But equally so.... if you believe you can, YOUR RIGHT as well.

Location: North Tx | Registered: November 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're not going to get anymore heat than is contained in the candle fuel. Basic heat exchanger, increase the surface area to radiate the heat better. Just physics not magic. No hmmmm factor at all. Easy to duplicate, what's the question?

Is your sig line trying to imply a difference between alligators and misspelled aligators ? Is there a point trying to being made?

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not really a question. Just wondering if it would help make all the heat more usable by collecting it and controll radiating it.

The steel housings of the heaters most in here are making are much like the bolt nuts and washhers inside this gents little contraption. The burner is the flame source like his candle.

So.... just wondering if done right, added ceramics might help soak up heat before its lost to unwanted areas and radiat it better to where we do want it..

Even if its a pot or two with the bottom cut out and slipped over the metal flue to collect more of its heat as the hot air ecscapes up it.

Location: North Tx | Registered: November 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
....Is your sig line trying to imply a difference between alligators and misspelled aligators ? Is there a point trying to being made?
no point in the misspellings. never noticed that.

The quote is exact as Anvil wrote it. I cut and pasted it yearsssss ago. Dont know if he meant anything by the misspellings or not. If he did... Im dense to it LOL

posted Hide Post
quote:
Just wondering if it would help make all the heat more usable by collecting it and controll radiating it.

How could it? You've got a candle, you burn it and the heat goes into the room. That's it. How can this contraption change that? Use common sense. Is this guy selling anything?

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
check yer PMs

posted Hide Post
Coach George,
As to your sig line, I've enjoyed it since joining the forum. I don't spell check every bit of humor I encounter. Keep as is.

"mixing up a bunch of magic stuff"

Al

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD - B25 - 100
2005 Ford F250 6.0 - B25 - 100
Kubota BX 2300 - B25 - 100
Kubota BX 1860 - B25 - 100
5KW Generator Set - B25
Lopi Republic 1250 - Glycerol/Sawdust Logs
Bath and Laundry - Glycerine Soaps

Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A note left on the Fiberglass trailer board where I learned of this ceramic idea.

quote:
Hey guys food for thought below is a link on a concern to watch out for since this idea is considered to be used in a little fiberglass trailer, one of my friends is a respiratory M.D. and alerted me to it...You could use soy candles with wicks that are certified lead free to minimize risk, however combustion is combustion and uncontrolled combustion is a risky venture anyway, I might mention that pots made in the US are controlled supposedly "at least 8 years ago" and are lead free, pots outside the US i.e. Mexico is not. Please read and decide for yourselves.

Harry

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12398334

posted Hide Post
quote:
...How could it? You've got a candle, you burn it and the heat goes into the room. That's it. How can this contraption change that? Use common sense. Is this guy selling anything?
Doesn't a candle or any other heat source just basically send it's heat to the ceiling.

Would think this idea would soak up the heat instead of sending it to the ceiling. And.... it would then distrubute/radiate it slowly to the surrounds down around human level little more before that heat too heads to the ceiling.

not sure..... Im just wondering.

posted Hide Post
Agreed. It doesn't change the amount of heat, just the dispersion. Might be useful in a small area.

Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heck,

I thought a candle heater that was effective in a 1 foot cube... would be plenty to heat my whole house!!!!!!

Heat sinks do have their applications. For example, the heat sink can help level out periodic or intermittent heat sources (including diurnal fluctuations).

It might also be interesting to see the heat dispersion. How much of the candle heat goes straight up to the ceiling? How much of the candle heater's heat is radiated to the surrounding area?

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would think this idea would soak up the heat instead of sending it to the ceiling. And.... it would then distrubute/radiate it slowly to the surrounds down around human level little more before that heat too heads to the ceiling.

Try it out and let us know how it works for you. That's the only way you'll know.

To some extent it will help in a well insulated building. That's why I have about 400 lbs of masonry around three sides of my woodstove.

Spend some time at Wiki reading about convective, conductive, and radiant heat transfer to learn more.

posted Hide Post
quote:
.......That's why I have about 400 lbs of masonry around three sides of my woodstove.....
Thought I recalled that. Twas one of the things in my mind that led me toward my thought process on this.

posted Hide Post
new sig