BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    build your own heating system

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

build your own heating system
 Login/Join

posted
Hi I'm new here and found this new world of BIO

I have been looking for a burner for my home to burn WMO or WVO not sure which but the must likely WMO.
I saw that there are 2 types of burners the babington and the turk burner.
I want to build my own water boiler to heatup my home. The boiler will be out of a barril that measures 0,8m diameter and 1,2m tall. I'll put in refactory making a 4cm thick wall all around the inside of the barril.
After I'll put 30m of 1/2 inch copper tube inside the barril.

I'll stick a smaller barril inside the barril to force the flame to pass throught the tube instead going straight up the chimmeny

Shown in the attachment

Now my problem is which burner that I should use? The inner barrel will be more or less 0,5m in diameter and 1m tall.

The babington or the turk design for this situation.

I saw some drawings on the babington it needs a very small hole (0,010”) on the ball it needs 20-30psi, A constante flow od oil over the ball, and a pump for the sump.

The Turk design needs 2 shells the inner and the outter shell. what are the reasonable size of the 2 shells.
The inner shell needs holes what size of hole, distance between the hole and distance from the bottom? Is there any distance between the 2 shells from the bottom, I have seen some that use firebrick and some don't?

I read that the turk design you have more control over the flame, you can burn more or less oil as your needs!

What is the best size for the air tube and what type of motor I read the a hairdryer is great?
If anyone has a turk design and has it working please send feedback I have to do my burner for the next winter.

Thanks

Imageburner.jpg (42 Kb, 155 downloads) Boiler and burner

2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
I think you're going about that the wrong way.

Here's why.

Your copper coil is going to be pressurized. This means you need to use a thick copper.. Type "K" I think is the copper used for boilers.. (I might be mistaken on the letter designation). its a thicker copper..

Second, do you know how to silver solder? Its not the same as normal solder.. you have to silver solder all copper boiler fittings or they will fly apart with direct flame contact.

What you really want to build is one of these:
www.centralboiler.com

They are atomospheric boilers and will burn everything from wood to oil to whatever. They are VERY safe, very effective and an almost perfect design when compared to a copper coil.

No refactory required, malfunctions are easy to fix, and everyone who has anything like them swears by it.

good luck

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA

posted Hide Post
I live in europe. About the boiler I can get used wood boiler.

I like to use a burner but I don't have a design for the turk burner.

Has anyone built both of these designs and tested them which is easier and has better control.

2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
If you can get a used wood boiler for outdoor use, that's what you want.

Just adapt a burner unit to the door or even faster just make a hole new door with the burner on it.

You'll want to make an electronic door shutter for the wood burning. that's what makes it efficient. Being able to turn on and turn off the energy input.

The problem with wood is you cant turn it off. Only lower it.. which is fine during the winter.

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA

posted Hide Post
My ideia is to use a adapter on the wood boiler to burn WVO but which model?

Which model should I make??

You have any ideia which would be the most apropriate burner for this style of burner.

Thanks