BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    Using old fuel oil tank for biodiesel

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using old fuel oil tank for biodiesel
 Login/Join

posted
Can I use my existing fuel oil tank for biodiesel ? I need to store my bioidiesel where its warm but I,m afraid to put it in the tank thats half full of HHO . This tank is older then the hills. There is a sludge problem ,because I have to shut the furnace down for a couple of hours after a fill-up,or the nozzle will plug up . After that everything is OK.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
I don't see a problem with adding the biodiesel to it.

I would suggest putting a filter such as a 10" Water filter on the suction line to the tank to catch the sludge.

The biodiesel is going to dissolve most of that sludge and break it up.

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA

posted Hide Post
quote:
would suggest putting a filter such as a 10" Water filter on the suction line to the tank to catch the sludge.

It has a filter on the outlet side. Its made by unifilter .I don't know what you mean by a 10" water filter? Possilby could put one before the Unifilter.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just read in Biodiesel Smarter where biodiesel has been known to cause older tanks to leak ,because of its cleansing properties. I guess I should try adding a low amount of bio say 10 -20% of the remaing HHO that I have to see how the tank holds up. Plus install a sludge trap of some sort.