BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    Can I use biodiesel in my heater that hasn't been washed or dried?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I use biodiesel in my heater that hasn't been washed or dried?
 Login/Join

posted
Hey Guys I have a question. Can I use just reacted fuel with the glycerin removed in my heater that hasn't been washed or dried? Need to know asap thanks.

posted Hide Post
Demeth it (and settle) properly and go for it. Been running a Beckett AFG burner in a boiler for three winters that way.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok thanks, will it work in any burner I'm selling some to a friend. Smile It will work in a water heat too right?

posted Hide Post
How about in a new torpedo heater? I can use D2, jet fuel & K1. Or at least a blend, anyone try this yet?

Thanks,
Dave

84 MB 300D Turbo Diesel
98.5 Dodge Cummins 5.9
96 B7100 Kubota

Location: leavittsburg,Ohio | Registered: September 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use 90% bio / 10% D2 blend in my torpedo heater. I just cover half of the air intake.
I have been doing this for 5 years it works great. Every month or 2 you may have to take the nozzle apart to clean it.

Location: Central WI | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you do it with out wash and drying the fuel? I'm just reacting mine.

posted Hide Post
I ran unwashed bio in my furnaces for two years. I didn't demeth and they ran hotter and burned out the back of the fire boxes in two out of the three. Repaired them and now I wash and dry just like it was going in my truck. You can probably get away with demeth'ing and settling and be ok.

"This biodiesel tis a cruel and heartless mistress we home brewers have chosen"

Location: MA | Registered: February 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I demeth and dry wash just like I would use in my vehicles. Tha cleaner the fuel the fewer problems you will have. Cleaning the nozzle is a 5 minute job, make sure you take the nozzle apart, watch out for small parts. It is nice to have an extra nozzle so you can take your time cleaning it.

Location: Central WI | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm burning my fuel today and got it to work. ps. you have to adjust the air flow just right and it will work for you. it's going good so far.

posted Hide Post
I think I might have problems latter on biodiesel that isn't washed it has a high corrosion level what can that effect? and I heard it can eat o rings and rubber gaskets is there a different type I can get
or do I change them a few times a year? and what about the soap? I have notes that the soap burns right up cause it get real hot and goes out the pipe. what dose every one think?

posted Hide Post
quote:
I heard it can eat o rings and rubber gaskets is there a different type I can get

yes biodiesel eats 'rubber'. Viton and teflon are biodiesel resistant.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just to clear up a misconception. The word "rubber" has come to be used to describe a number of different materials having similar properties.
Biodiesel will attack Natural rubber. However O rings and gaskets are rarely if ever made from natural rubber because many things attack natural rubber including petroleum products.

Rubber O rings and gaskets are usually made from "synthetic rubber". Synthetic rubber is any type of artificial elastomer, invariably a polymer. An elastomer is a material with the mechanical (or material) property that it can undergo much more elastic deformation under stress than most materials and still return to its previous size without permanent deformation.
Some types of synthetic rubber are attacked by biodiesel and some are not. Experience has shown that viton and teflon elastomers are not affected by biodiesel. Some types of nitrile are affected by biodiesel while other formulations of nitrile are not affected by biodiesel.

I ran biodiesel for three years in a 25 year old diesel car and the 25 year old "rubber" fuel lines were not affected by the biodiesel in that three years period.
On the other hand I have had to replace fuel lines on much newer diesel cars after a year or so because the fuel lines had started to deteriorate.
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Diesel:
I heard it can eat o rings and rubber gaskets is there a different type I can get
or do I change them a few times a year?

Location: here and there | Registered: October 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Okay that's cool what about corrosion?

posted Hide Post
If it's dry [<500ppm] what would cause corrosion?

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe the acid is...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe the acid is...

What acid? I don't add any acid when I'm making BD, and if anything it's basic not acidic.

If you think your fuel is acidic, place a dull penny in a sample of the fuel and see if it becomes bright in a few days.

posted Hide Post
That is a very good question.
As you can see, some people are unaware of the different types of corrosion that may be involved when using biodiesel.
For instance, free methanol in your biodiesel can corrode aluminum & zinc which can lead to corrosion of fuel injection equipment.
Free water in the biodiesel can lead to corrosion of fuel injection equipment.
Free glycerine and Mono-& di-glyceride can corrode non-ferrous metals in your injection system.
Free fatty acid provides an electrolyte and hastens the corrosion of zinc in your fuel injection system.
As biodiesel ages formic & acetic acid is formed which can cause corrosion of the fuel system.
Who knows, it might even make your penny all shiny and bright.

quote:
Okay that's cool what about corrosion?

Location: here and there | Registered: October 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot that helps because I'm running it in a oil burner and the fuel is unwashed.