BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    added bio to HHO tank for first time

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

added bio to HHO tank for first time
 Login/Join

posted
I've been heating my home with my homebrewed B100 since September . Since I didn't have enough storage and didn't like the idea of alot of drums of bio in the basement I added 100 gallons of bio to about 100 gallons of HHO. things were going good on my B100 but now the furnace nozzle is clogging every day. This was expected to some degree, so I ordered a bio-compatible Goldenrod filter from Northern Tool to act as a sediment trap. I'm wondering if the Goldenrod will settle the mix out fast enough when it's colder and the furnace runs alot? Since the present system draws fuel from very bottom and even though the tank does slope away from the outlet there,s alot of sediment in a sample I took. I'm thinking about drawing the fuel over the top so the line is not pulling from the bottom . There would be only about a five foot lift from the top of the tank to the pump. Do I use a 1 or two pipe system? The pump owner's manual say's there's a 8 foot lift with a 1 pipe system as long as its leak-free. Anybody have any experience in this area? Heatbeater rule #1 if you decide to take a shortcut ,you can expect short results. Big Grin

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Heatbeater
Is there no way you could pump all the fuel thro some sort of filter back into the tank to try and clear up the tank at all-maybe an old pair of denims with the legs tied off(no holes though)-or some dense cotton spread across a metal trash can,feeding back into tank.If you could recirculate this for a while you should be able to clean up your whole tank,and your golden rod will last far longer.

Location: UK | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
Am I missing something ?

If you have a filter on the line, why is the sediment a problem? Why do you think the nozzle is clogging due to the sediment if its been filtered?

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA

posted Hide Post
quote:
Am I missing something ?

It's the cleansing properties of the bio that I think is causing alot more sediment in the HHO tank. I never could run the furnace for a few hours after a fuel-up because its stirred up sludge in the tank and would clog the nozzle. A recent article in Biodiesel Smarter talks about similiar problems and suggests only starting with A b5 blend because they experieced tanks that started to leak when they added biodiesel. I didn't want to start will that low a blend. I'm pushing the envelope. Big Grin I think I'll go with the single line over the top and see how it works by going thru the Goldenrod first and then the unifilter.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there no way you could pump all the fuel thro some sort of filter back into the tank to try and clear up the tank at all

There is the possibly of pumping it into a 300 gal. tote outside and then letting it settle for couple of days. Then drawing it off the top and thru the Goldenrod and keeping away from the bottom. I,m not going try and filter it inside the house because it could get a little messy ,besides HHO gives off a strong odor.

posted Hide Post

Almost every fuel tank I've seen has one of these sediment filters on the tank output. They take a standard 10µ fuel oil filter. Some people also add 5µ spin on filters just before the burner.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Almost every fuel tank I've seen has one of these sediment filters on the tank output. They take a standard 10µ fuel oil filter.
That's the exact one I have . It,s felt with a screen in the center and doesn't filter for $hit.

posted Hide Post
If used correctly it will filter out all visible particles. Try the new synthetic cartridges rather than the old style felt.

http://www.generalfilters.com/

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen the synethic ones anywhere ,but have seen a bigger felt filter ,I think its a #99. Might involve buying a bigger canister, though. It would have a larger filtering area. I've never seen any indication where the felt filters were bio-compatible?

posted Hide Post
This setup will cure any filtration problems you have and the replacement filters are about 8 bucks for them.Works well with B100 also.http://www.patriot-supply.com/products/showitem.cfm/74401

posted Hide Post
Find a small tank somewhere. Set it on a table a few inches to 6" above the bottom of the main tank. Feed it with your fuel into the BOTTOM of it. Have your fuel to your furnace exit at the TOP of it. Basically you building an upflow settling system.

Could do the same thing with a long 6" diameter or so stainless steel pipe or steel pipe?. Cap both ends. Put it on a stand say few to 6" or so above bottom main tank and make it as tall as just below the height inside the main tank you think you will ever let fuel level drop to. This will give you a taller unit to settle better with. Same as previous.... feed in the bottom and exit to furnace at the top.

Either one still use your filter system after the up flow tank.

either one make it easy to revert back to or have plumbed in a bypass so you can feed furnace from main tank when needed. Need that in case your settled stuff in settling tank is getting to thick for good flow of fuel up the settle tank. Or in case your fuel level in your main tank is getting so low that the upflow tank does not have enough fuel in it thus starving the furnace. Another solution in that scenario would be to have a pump you can turn on between the main tank and settle tank to ensure settle tank is ALLWAYS full since its fuel feed to furnace is at the top.

But equally so.... if you believe you can, YOUR RIGHT as well.

Location: North Tx | Registered: November 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post